Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#10068 Mar 20, 11:01pm
2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
has anyone installed an intercooler without a turbo? ive never heard of such a setup but my cousin said it would still be beneficial. i know mike lu said that it would have a negative impact on the engine without the turbo. which one is it? confused

vejita_13 #10069 Mar 20, 11:35pm
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
what will an intercooler do if you do not have turbo?

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
supposedly it cools the incoming air- similar to what a CAI does, only ...i guess better. my cousin didnt really elaborate on it...sometimes i think hes full of crap, but i thought i would throw the question out anyway and see if anyone else knew what the real story was. so yeah. more cold air to the engine i guess. just speculation though...

vejita_13 #10071 Mar 20, 11:46pm
2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
supposedly it cools the incoming air- similar to what a CAI does, only ...i guess better. my cousin didnt really elaborate on it...sometimes i think hes full of crap, but i thought i would throw the question out anyway and see if anyone else knew what the real story was. so yeah. more cold air to the engine i guess. just speculation though...

vejita_13 #10072 Mar 20, 11:49pm
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Double Post thumbsup

It may help a little, but it may cool the air too much ya know. You may have to work on your fuel system with all that. No offense but I don't think your cousin doesn't know what he is talking about. It just doesn't make sense to me, maybe it is true and someone could explain it. Until then, I am sticking with my idea.

[ 03-20-2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: SpiderManGT ]

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
no offense taken. there are many moments...on a daily basis sometimes, that i think my cousin doesnt know what he is talking about rofl
in your idea then, what other kind of modifications would be required?

[ 03-20-2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: vejita_13 ]

vejita_13 #10074 Mar 21, 12:14am
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
well, it seems to me that this intercooler will disrupt the air/fuel ratio, or it will need for a better performing injector. For better perfomring injectors, do you need a new fuel rail, lines, pump, etc? That I don't know. I just get the feeling that the air will be too cold, sort of like NOS. Do you need any other mods for nitrous to work properly? I'm not very educated in this technical part of the car. But that is what seems logical to me, but if someone can prove this to us, feel free becuase I would like to know myself.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ditto. i hardly understood what you just said there! talk about not knowing sh!t spineyes

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I have a friend with one. It's not super beneficial cause it can't get the air any colder than a CAI can. A turboed car, however, will inject extremely hot air into the motor without one. This is because the exhaust gas heats up the turbo and the fresh air being compressed heats up also, so the air to air, or water to air intercooler cools the air back down to outside temp or a little lower. They also make CAI's that look like intercoolers but are really just big airfilters that fit in the bottom grill of a car. (another friend with Civic has one) grin

'96 5-Speed SC300

MyCeli8U #10077 Mar 21, 11:52am
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Let me explain this in simplist possible way (without throwing a lot of physics mumble jumble):
Intercooler is pretty much using air flow to cool down the air passing by the blades or tubes within the intercooler also by expansion of gases to bigger container will cool air down. Now you are already sucking normal temperature air from atmosphere, having air trying to cool that air down with same temperature air you are not going to cool that air that eventually goes into intake manifold down anymore than a regular cold air intake.
Now knowing that the air is not getting any colder to be any more significant than Cold Air Intake, now we have to think about pipping length the intercooler is hurting the normal non turboed cars.
By adding intercooler on normal cars you are extending the intake pipe longer, now this is why it is hurting the performance of the engine. Think of it this way: Normal engine is basically sucking in air through these pipes, it is easier to suck air in with shorter pipe than long one. Good way to try this is get a straw suck through 1 straw is easier than sucking through 5 straws connected into 1 long straw.

Turbo charged or Supercharged cars need this because the turbo or supercharger increase pressure that action of forcing more air causes the air to heat up, by adding intercooler it allow that heat up air to cool down without decreasing volume of air going into the engine. Now having longer pipe length also hurt turbo, but not as much as normal engine because turbo is basically forcing more air into engine so engine is being forced fed air so it will not losing performance. Having longer pipe it is making turbo work harder to force that air to the engine so the turbo perform not as efficiently with longer pipes.

Wow this explaination went longer than I expected smile Hope I do not have to reiterate this again with next person with same questions grin
Hope that answers your questions grin

[ 03-21-2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Mike Lu ]

#10078 Mar 21, 2:36pm
2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
makes sense to me. thanks mike

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
not a problem. I did not realize I did not give reason why intercooler on Naturally Aspirated Engine will hurt performance engine, sorry about that but hay better late than never. Well, luckily not too late if it was explained to you after you baught $1000+ intercooler this info would not make you happy grin

#10080 Mar 21, 5:45pm
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Let me add to this post, some people will say why does Cold Air Intake work better than Short Ram? Aren't Short Ram shorter thus should perform better?
Well Short Ram is sucking all the air in the engine compartment, all that heat engine radiates heats up all the air in engine compartment and get sucked into the Short Ram which hurts the performance of the car. Cold Air Intake gets pipe routed to the bottom where the engine heat will not affect it as much thus able to suck colder air and engine performs better. So best Intake is the one that has shortest distance from the filter to the intake manifold... But then extra few inches will not really make that much difference in HP grin