Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#10467 Mar 26, 6:26pm
2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
OK, heres the deal. I ordered my body kit and I wanna get it put on. Its a good quality Veilside like body kit. When I take it to a body shop what kinda questions should I ask. I mean its not predrilled and even were the sidemarkers go isnt even drilled yet but has the marks for drilling. I think the place im going matches paint by scanning your existing paint as opposed to using the paint code. Is that a good way to color match paint because im figuring that if you use the paint code and you even have the slightest fade in your existing paint that it wont match up. Also I think the company after they primed the kit sprayed it with some plastic wrap in a can type crap and I don't know how to get it off. I can look at the kit and tell its gonna need a need to be preped and primered again. Basically Im just trying to figure out what I need to ask and what i need to do. I think I'll do it this weekend. Someone help me here!

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
Post Whoring May Result In
Premature Brain Retardation

how come you bought a veilside like kit? why not the real thing? the real thing comes predrilled if im not corrected and has a pretty darn good fit. otherwise, i dont know what you are talking about with ur plastic wrap or something.

*2003 Black GT-S 6speed* TRD body kit, HID upgrade, clear corners, Matrix XRS shift knob, 02 tails, trd exhaust, AEM gen 2 CAI, TWM short shifter.

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Veilside style kit is around $400 while genuine Veilside is $1500, not to mention the time to get it in.

At any rate, if your car is not faded, the factory paint code would do just fine. The paint addictive that most paint shops use is to allow the paint to "flex". This is more effective on polyurethane kit than fiberglass kit. Another additive they use is the paint adhesive, which allows the paint to bond with the surface better.

A good paint shop should be able to prep and paint your kit without problem. A good question to ask is how many coats of paint and clear coat do they use.

Don't forget to plan on leaving your car there a couple of days for test-fitting. This where they put the kit on your car, make adjustment and drill all the holes. Good luck

[ 03-27-2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: tony ]

[Linked Image]
Really BAD reality TV is the reason I stopped watching MTV.

but how many coats of paint and clear coat are considered good?

and would it be wise to buy a few more coats just to be sure?

you seem to have underestimated my sneakiness, sir.