New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#12700 Apr 20, 11:29am
black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
what do you think is better performance or looks... because my friend keeps telling me to put a body kit and rims on already but i want to back up my stlye with performance because i know the minute i get the kit and rims more people r going to want to race... i want to have at leaset 140 hp before all that stuff right now i have about 128 give or take 1 or 2 hp.

[Linked Image]
i've been changing but you'll never see me now
now i'm blaming you for everything

well its your car you have to do what you want to do.as for me i am doing all looks right now.rims body kit exhaust(although exhaust adds power also) and then i am gonna work on performance after all the appearance.but maybe in your case if your worried about people wanting to race.try to even it up,do things for exterior and performance as well..maybe 50/50.but it all comes down to its your car do what you like

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
I feel that anyone wanting to race a car that had body kit installed is just plain arrogant... we all know that body kits produce much more drag than stock body parts.

And secondly, a large portion of the people who have body kits installed, also have aftermarket rim/wheels to go along with that... most of the time these rim/wheels are much heavier than stock setups (ie, Konig wheels)

Most of the time you see a body kit installed, you also find a nice stereo system on the inside - along with a whole bunch of other weight/heavy items.

its seems to me that if you were looking to race your car, you would want as little wind/aero-drag and weight as possible.

this is why I say that anyone on the streets wanting to race a car put together for "show" is just plain arrogant

let me also add - when was the last time you were at the races and saw a car going down the track in the 15s with a bodykit, rims and a stereo system in their car... 99.9% of the cars on the track have everything removed from their car and are running on light weight wheels (or their stock/hubs)

I went "SHOW" - I'd rather impress people every day of the week (100% of the time) because I knew that "RACE" would only impress people maybe only once a week.

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
i agree with isaac cheers , i go for show, i do have performance parts but its all for show thumbsup

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
It is all your preference though man. I know exactly what you are talking about though. I want my car to look hella good, but I don't want to be a bitch on the road. I just added some bolt-ons and then I will get nitrous (use only when needed like at the track). So I have enough performance to hold my own. It is really hard though when your roommate is getting a car and you are both competing together.

BTW, what mods do you have done to be at 128?

black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
well im guessing it's at 128 cause i saw a dyno with a celica with a trd exhaust and an aem cai and it's dyno'd at 128.6. i have a hks hi-power exhaust and an aem cai then only thing different with mine is i got my resenator removed. so that's y i said give or take 1 or 2 hp... do you think that headers, a high flow cat, and an aem pully would bring me up to 140hp

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't get a high flow cat, I hear too many people losing power because not enough back pressure. If you go forced induction you will definatly want a high flow cat, but with NA, I really don't think you need it. I would go with a header and a loghtweight flywheel (those are my next 2 mods, the hotshot header is on the way)...

Don't underestimate what light rims can do for your acceleration either, MUST go lighter than stock (which is 18lbs on the GT if you DIDN'T GET THE ALLOY). But it's really one of the best acceleration mods you can get (guys who get 22lb 17s end up losing acceleration though, you gotta stick with 15s and go LIGHTER than stock, like Konig R5, 5Zigen or Volk).

[ 04-20-2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: FX-MAN ]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
I've seen those dynos also, but it is hard to believe a dyno that is posted on the net if you do not know the person personally who posted it. I consider myself a trusted guy around here. I have been able to help out many people and have become very well trusted through many of the members on this board.
I have a dyno showing that my max power is 123.9 and tq at 113.7. My mods are Injen CAI, Hotshot Header, TSRM exhaust, custom mid pipe with hi-flow cat. I feel that my TSRM or Hi-flow cat is hurting me, which may be why my numbers are not as big as the other dynos. So I may not be a good source of a dyno for your car, considering my exhaust setup. Every car is different, so the only way to know how much power you have is to get it dynoed yourself. I will that dyno of my car in a few days.

Dan

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
its all opinion, but i like to do both (more looks though)... when buying rims i wanted looks and low weight so i got einke rs5's (18x7 and weigh 20lbs ... pretty light for 18's) but when adding to looks i wanna do some performance mods too (already have some) like hotshot header is next on my list grin . gotta back the looks up a bit.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I'm also leaning more towards looks than performance. But its not impossible to do both, the Celica is still a hot car with stock appearance.

black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
yeah i was just useing that dyno for an estimate i not going to be able to dyno my car anytime soon cause thier is no place to do it here in el paso texas i have to go to pheniox or dallas and thats an 8 hr drive. i also took out my back seats to help with the wieght reduction i mean the only weigh 35 lbs but hey thats 35 lbs less than stock. hey has anyone hear about the low compression pistons if so when r they coming out and how much i hear they r devolping them at wc toyota. what r some light weight rims that r 17

[Linked Image]

volk TE37's are some good looking light weight 17' rims. prepare to spend at least 2000 for them tho.

i would go performance, all the way. it's cool to have your ride lowered with nice wheels and everything. but if you get a turbo kit, imagine the reactions you will get when some rice rocket tries to race what they thought was your stock GT thumbsup

//2k3 zephBlue celica

for me its a kind of complete thing, i love my car, its my favorite thing in the world, and it was a gift from my parents for graduating and getting into school, etc. so i like driving in it, and to that end i like performance, okay, its a GT Auto, so its no speed demon by any stretch, but i still like the driving experience, and the intake and exhaust improve it, makes me enjoy driving more...
as to appearance, i like to look at it and go wow, that looks great, and thats MY car, personalized and better than stock... and thats a big thing too... so basically this post has no point, just my opinion that i love my car, and i just want it to be more personally enjoyable.

2000 Celica GT - Auto. SBM.
H&R Springs
Injen CAI
5Zigen Imperio M-05
GReddy Evo Exhaust

that was the longest run on sentence ever rofl cheers

//2k3 zephBlue celica

ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
i stand more on performance (even though i hav an autoGT). but i AM willing to spend money on 16's, tints, and MTEC lights (which i hear are awesome next to HID). so i'm at 75/25..in favor of go rather than show.

but let me tell you this..a girl never drooled at a car and say to her self "wow i wonder how much hp/torque it gets..."...wellll, most girls rice