Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I was just researching the UR Ultra SS pulley (street set for my GT)... they are 3.5 pounds lighter than stock GT pulleys, so on WEIGHT alone that's 10hp gain in a GT (plus with the hotshot header, TRD exhaust, and AEM CAI, UR also says you will get better gains than stock).. and they guarantee you can power all stock accessories and up to a 400w sound system with no adverse effects. Total gains with underdriving should be around 12hp... unless I hear MAJOR objections, I am buying these tomorrow!!!!!!!

ONLY problem is they run $250 instead of the AEM $70, however... lighter pulleys, better gains, an accessory pulley in the kit (so you don't get the power drain)... they don't underdrive as much as AEM but shound net better gains (since most of your power comes from that 3.5lb under stock weight)... so I won't fry my $1200 subs and amp!... sounds good to me! Any objections?

[ 04-23-2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: FX-MAN ]

ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
sounds good! thumbsup

although i have read lots of cases @ newcelica.org and this site where people have had engine damage and problems because of the UR pulley...that is why i got AEM. i don't suffer from "power drain" because i have a higher power batter and the fact that i don't have a powerful sound system. i'm happy with my AEM because it does what it does for cheap and it gives me a bit of peace of mind. but i have friends here who have URs and they seem fine. i was going to get URs but i heard and read too much stuff...prolly makes me a pussy but i'm pretty over protective of my "baby" thumbsup

funny, I hear the opposite. UR says on their website "there has not been 1 reported case of dammage due to our pully system". Where as AEM didn't even respond to a question I asked about powering my amp. The power drain is due to underdriving the alternator, the AEM pullyes underdrive more than UR so you can't power a good sound system with AEM.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
FX-MAN, I have heard of a few problems. I think they are mainly the GTS's though. One guy blew his motor and everyone freaked out cause he had those pulleys. Turns out, he was 3 quarts low on oil.
I am really starting to debate on getting the Nitrous kit. I think its too risky. If you are down with getting the pulleys, I'm right behind you. Let me know if you plan on getting them, and maybe we can get a group buy goin. Cool?

Dan

couldnt a person just buy a high priced SUPER battery with the pulleys??

like the ones in comp. stereo setups?

or like a 2 farad capacitor.

hmm

i want to know all the facts before i buy mine!

you seem to have underestimated my sneakiness, sir.

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
Originally posted by Nae-Nae:
couldnt a person just buy a high priced SUPER battery with the pulleys??

like the ones in comp. stereo setups?

or like a 2 farad capacitor.

hmm

i want to know all the facts before i buy mine!
yes capacitors help so much for when the bass needs to hit really hard or just when the music goes to a high decibal. when the song hits a music peak.

also a deep cycle battery will help but your still drawing power away from it by reducing the charging ability of the alternator.

i dont get is that if your gonna have a big sound system in your car why worry about the small gains from a pulley.

[ 04-24-2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: RicePowered ]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Simon, where are you finding these for $250. I am really interested now. What set are you getting? Just the crank, or the crank and alt.? Their website says 299 for the crank and alt. set. PM me or somethin, I am totally interested.

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
do they sell ur pulleys individually?? if so i might be interested in doin a group buy for their crank pulley to go with my aem alt pulley,as long as no one has had probs with em grin

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
You can buy just the crank pulley, but I have heard that it is not a good idea to mix pulleys.

Simon, you got a PM. thumbsup

black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
black & blue 4 you
2000 Toyota Celica GT
hey don't leave me out if you guys can get a group buy im in... i've been debating on getting either the pulleys or headers but if the pulleys can give you a 12 hp gain i want those

[Linked Image]
i've been changing but you'll never see me now
now i'm blaming you for everything

Cool.. I have a call in to the guy I usually get my parts from. I asked him to quote me a price on a group buy, and how many we would need to get a discount. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear. The one I want is the street set.. 90% of your gains come from the WEIGHT of the pully only 10% from underdriving. The Ulra SS (or ultra STREET set) is designed for better performance in everyday street use... this is the one I want. So everyone inerested let me know.. as soon as I hear back from my guy, i'll post price in the group buy section.

i got UR pulleys for my gts, and the only thing tha has happened, is funny sound comming from that side of the car from about 3500-5500 rpm range i was told it was due to my belt tensioner or something, i don't know. but other than that they great.

what about your belt tensioner? why havn't you had it fixed?

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ok thanx for the advice, if everyone doesnt think i shuld get a ur crank pulley to go with my aem alt pulley, then i wont (dont wanna screw up the celica) .

got my enkei rs5's on today(18's with yoko parada spec 2's) grin cheers

[ 04-24-2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Bradcelica ]

Forget it! I am not getting the UR pulleys, despite what UR says, I am reading online all day about these... just like AEM they cause problems, only these are worst since you are removing the Harmonic Damper (which UR claims is not a problem, but does VOID your warrenty, and Toyota STRONGLY states causes serious engine dammage in the long run)... SOOO, I am going to pass.

DAMN... I guess a lightweight flywheel and clutch REALLY is the next step. I keep wanting to find a pulley that won't kill my car, but I guess I am just gonna pass altogether.. AEM = no removal of harmonic dampener, but they underdrive too much for my sound system, and UR you have to remove the harmonic dampener for such a small gain, not worth it. I still might get a capacitor and the AEM alternator pulley together, but I am not sure if it's worth it for only 3hp.. that's allot to spend for a gain that I probably won't feel.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Simon, how about cams, sending in our computer, port and polish? These are some things that i am looking into. If you are interested, look around also and we can compare notes. Not many people have the drive like you and I. I think that we could make something happen. Just let me know what you think. Peaceout.

Dan
Port and Pollish is something I am looking into.. I got a guy locally who is well known for building race cars and has actually said he would let me help with doing it so I can learn.. I gotta call him back about it.. only fear is that if it's done wrong, I could mess up the hotshot, or worse, screw up the airflow ballance and lose power, for $400-$500 though and a potential for 15hp, might be worth it. I am pretty solid on doing the clutch/flywheel next. I was going to wait till I burned my clutch and use it as an excuse to squeak more power out by clutching at high RPMs, but there is no reason to, I'll just want the flywheel all the time smile .. I can't find Cams, or forged pistons. Have you found any? Torque brace maybe also, havn't done enough resarch yet though. Biggest thing is that I don't plan to keep the GT more than a few years, so I don't want to do anything that will do long term dammage, or drop the resale value (definatly NO NO2). I have decided on waiting to see what TRD does with a supercharger kit for us, so I might just get the clutch/flywheel combo and install next month (header will be here next week sometime) then consider the port and polish, after that work on exterior and just hold out for a while, stockpile some cash and see what TRD does with the VVT-i supercharger.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Simmmonnnn... here Simon. look what I got for you.
For the 1zz.

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/wiseco_pistons_toyota_celica_gt_mr2_spyder_1zz_fe_2000_.html

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Hmmm, I don't know what to make of this, but have a look.

http://www.brashboy.net/e/zztCELICA/op_index.html

And check this out. OOOO Baby!

http://www.clubcelica.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=7282&

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
I'm starting to get a little off topic here now, but oh well. Tell me what you think of this:

http://www.autosport-fr.com/site_anglais/indexgb.html

I don't know man.. hard to trust a web site that has a bunch of grammatical errors and mispellings trying to sell you proprietary engineered performance chips... if these work why doesn't anyone have one?

The other 2 links seem to be GTS only stuff. I did see the forged pistons that you posted last night though... first ones out there for the GT I think.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
I trust Wiseco. As for the perfomormance chips, well. There aren't very many companies out there, and everyone says they are BS. If this is not that expensive, I say what the hell. It could be a bad ass mod.

The link for clubcelica, that was sort of just to throw out some ideas and for a good starting point.

The stroker kit, well I don't know about you, but I know that many companies do not advertise all of their parts on their website. I'll go ahead and send them an email, but only if this is something that you want to look into.

Hmm, I think that covers most of it. Let me know.

[ 04-25-2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Grand-Touring-Dan ]

supposedly the celica, for gts doesnt have the harmonic damper, thats why id doesnt hurt our engines, i remember reading that somewhere, but i have the pullies, ima get them installed soon, i have a gts though