Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by PsychoFox
If the TRD Racing plugs are Denso IK22, all they are is the standard Denso Iridium Power (0.4mm Tip) Plug, one heatrange colder than what is specified by Toyota (IK20/SK20R11). You can buy them without the TRD branding for about $12/each - probably less.

Colder heatrange plugs help stop pre-ignition, and are generally used in highly tuned normally aspirated and forced induction engines. For an example close to home, the 1ZZ plug heatrange is 16, whereas the 2ZZ heatrange is 20, 1 heatrange colder. For a standard internals road car there is probably not much advantage to go for a colder plug, unless you drive you car in the 7-8000RPM range for extended periods. A downside of cold plugs is that they foul easier then hot plugs.

Originally Posted by demo5757
the trd iridium racing plugs are the best i seen so far. they are made by denso for trd part no.19059-sp004-22 plug type ik22

according to this quote found at this link Spark Plug Info it would be ok to use the IK20's in a GT, since the have the same TPI, thread length, 5/8" diameter, gap, and electrode diameter. The heat range being the primary difference making them more susceptible to fouling at higher RPM ranges for extended periods ( although I think this is true for any plug but i see the reasoning here) placing the IK20 in a GT would be like placing the IK22 in a GTS. Now to the reason I ask...I have been round and round with Toyota service dept about why my engine keeps idling funny, they said it was my MAF causing the CEL to read out engine misfire. This started april 24th (which they said there was no abnormal sound for the make and model...errrhmmmm BS angry )...so i took my mods off, except a K&N OEM filter element been stock since then...still the same prob...month later they told me it was the K&N OEM filter in the stock box messing with the MAF...so i had the injectors cleand, the MAF (they said was clean). All the time i had a gut feeling this was an engine misfire (like they diagnosed when i had them check the CEL code)...so i decide to go their way back 100% stock paper filter yada yada...still the same shit but got worse...engine felt like it was gonna stall every time i decelrated and hesitated horribly when accelerating; idle was shit too. SO the damn CEL kept coming on every time i cleared it...I got pissed, i spent $175 for this shit to still be happening even after i asked them to check the plugs, wires, coils, and take it out for a 100mi drive if they needed too. So i took it to autozone for a free OBDII readout
and low an be hold... P0302 then P0300 then P0302 (in english misfire cyl #2, multiple misfire, misfire cyl #2) so I told the guy what Toyota told me he said NO WAY a MAF would cause that...I agreed, so I bought Iridiums but since I didnt have the stock plugs to compare or internet avaible in the store, I had to go by what they told me...IK20..I saw the screen as he looked the part up...so there were no alternative Iridiums for the GT just plain Cu autolite plugs and platnum plugs...I am going to install these IK20's tomorrow but wanted to check to make sure my engine wont blow up when I start it rofl grin I doublt it will but I wanted to consult the gurus of ecelica before I either return them for IK16's or installed what they gave me. Sorry for spelling, grammar and length...and THANKS in advance and again Many Props to ECELICA... thumbsup
Don

[Linked Image]

2000 Toyota Celica ZR
2000 Toyota Celica ZR
that was a long read but i think i learnt something thumbsup

hard to find a good mechanic hey... don't think changing spark plugs no matter what kind would do anything more than not fire properly or not start if terribly mismatched... you'll be right

good luck thumbsup

A CHAMPION IS ONE WHO GETS UP WHEN HE CAN'T.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by OzzyZR
that was a long read but i think i learnt something thumbsup

hard to find a good mechanic hey... don't think changing spark plugs no matter what kind would do anything more than not fire properly or not start if terribly mismatched... you'll be right

good luck thumbsup

yeah sorry about the length...thanks

[Linked Image]

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Well here's an update . . . you all might find this amusing, well it was the day I left for a family reunion and I needed to get this problem resolved so I drove to A/Z to see if they had the IK16's in stock and nope so I went home and decided to fudge it. I let the engine cool for about 30 min...and popped the hood...I was checking out the airbox when I noticed movement near my battery. wtf I kinda peered up thinking it might be a snake (since I live in the middle of no where) next thing I know I am eye to eye with Splinter YEP an 8 inch RAT eek with a tail that was wrapped about my (-) bat. cable I thought OH SHIT and swiped at it and knocked his punk ass into the inside fender wall...he was stunned and while i was trying to figure out what to put him in to dump him in the woods, he bolted into the engine compartment where I heard scrathing on plastic so I kicked the under engine plastic he must have flew up and hit the exhaust piping just after the headers I heard a thud on the ground and I chased after him like a mad man into the storm drain rofl I wish I had a video of it it was hilarious...but after that I installed the new plugs and problem was solved, I forgot the reset the ECU correctly, engine was luke warm and i didnt let it idle down to its usual 750RPM, but I am reinstalling my mods this weekend and I'll take care of that anyway along with re cleaning the MAF...but my car runs beautifully, I bumped up to a higher grade of gas for my own piece of mind. The #2 plug was deformed at the prong making the gap way to narrow...and the base of the electrode was seriously mis-shaped with a residue. Plugs 1 and 4 had residue build up in the electrode bases but the gaps seemed fine...#3 looked like it should have with 50K miles of wear. And the rest is history I spent Thursday evening through Saturday night in a drunken happy state of mind, knowing I kicked Splinters ass and that my car was finally fixed. grin

[Linked Image]

2000 Toyota Celica ZR
2000 Toyota Celica ZR
rofl rofl
good to hear ya car is pest free & all fixed thumbsup

A CHAMPION IS ONE WHO GETS UP WHEN HE CAN'T.