Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
so here's the dilemma... there's a possibility that i might be able to get an all-trac (5th gen) with 115K miles for a decent price. I'm thinking about selling or asking to trade my car for either some cash or to help pay for the all-trac. My car has a nice dent in the rear quarter and i'm not sure i could get too much money out of my car yet it's primed for a swap.

4 wheel drive? or front wheel drive?

what do you think i should do?

1990 Toyota Celica
1990 Toyota Celica
If you can buy an Alltrac, Buy it.

[Linked Image]

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
do you think it's a good investment? Also nice cop car thumbsup

1992 Toyota Celica
1992 Toyota Celica
Buying an all-trac is not an investment. But it is the better option. Putting a 3SGTE into you're GT will not raise its value.

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Buy it and keep 'em both thumbsup

"They don't make no seatbelt for the mind. So I can't buckle up for this ride!"

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
hmmmmm it's kinda hard to come across money though... the supra payments alone are freaking high... we bought the supra for $14K with 56K miles on it 95 pearl white 5 spd hardtop. Bone stock. But we paid for it with credit card.

I think it's gonna be hard to convince my parents to get me the all-trac without selling my car first. Can you guys help me think of a way to convince my parents? I need all the help i can get because i really want to jump on this opportunity since 4 wheel drive is attractive to me.

How much should I offer since she's taking offers. I think around 6K would be something my parents will understand and think about.

Last edited by bloodredgt; Jun 28, 2004 5:30pm.

1990 Toyota Celica ST
1990 Toyota Celica ST
I'd swap.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
i think i would do what santarulz said, i dont think if you swap it would raise the value so sell your celi and buy the all-trac celi. thumbsup

GT4
1993 Toyota Celica Alltrac
Originally Posted by santarulz
Buying an all-trac is not an investment.
That depends on which year/condition and how long he will keep the alltrac. It is depreciating right now, but very less, compare to other cars. Low milage alltracs are very desirable and not many of them left.

And yes, I agree, it is a better option.
Engine swap sometimes make it's more difficult to sell.
Selling alltrac is much easier due to demand.

93 ST185, 91 ST185 (sold), 99 Solara SEV6
Boston

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
dang man, I am dying for an all-trac after seeing one pull on the freeway. I met the guy at the north hollywood theatre. He had a bone stock all-trac besides the alarm. He said he was heading towards glendale on the 210 east so i told him i was too and he said he would pull for me. That thing is QUICK!!!!! eek I knew from that moment on, that i wanted an all-trac. Besides it comes stock with a Turbo so i wouldn't be bothered by the po-po or smog regulations as much. I wanted to get a MkIV supra NA and eventually swap that, but i decided having one in the family between me and my bro was enough and we needed to add some more toyota muscle to the family. So i decided an All-trac would be the choice.

But all-tracs are so scarce to come by especially in socal. And swap overall would cost less. Plus it would be more "sleeper" style. It's not everyday when you pull up next to a celica gt that has a 3SGTE powerplant in it.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
Quote:
[b][i]But all-tracs are so scarce to come by especially in socal. [/quote]what part of so-cal?

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
In the 818 area.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
GT4 is Quick, but a GT is lighter. Swaps are a pain in the rear, but the GT is lighter. Swapping takes time so you'd need a ride in the mean time. GT4 wouldn't have the issues that a swap would have. Tell your parents that you are buying the GT4 to pull the engine and put it in your car thumbsup!! Yours is lighterso it would be that much quicker, and you would have all the items for the swap right there. No searching for parts, clips, etc. Then once you get it, paint it the exact same color and setup as yours. Go race a couple of fools in yours one week end, then the next week end take out the GT4 and find them again. They won't know what hit them happywink: Drive the GT4 for a little while and see which you like better. If you do decide to do the swap, cos the GT is lighter thumbsup, you have all the parts needed, and then you could turn around and part out whats left. Tell them the guy has a couple people interested and you don't want to lose it!!!

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
How much lighter is the GT compared to the all-trac? How much do both weigh? I mean i'll admit that my GT is lighter because the 4 wheel drive would weight the all-trac down quite a bit but I would like to get off the line quicker and take turns quicker with the 4 wheel drive. Sure it'll be hard to dyno but just saying "I have an All-Trac" is something that would be a milestone in my life grin. Most people would be like "what the heck is that?" Also, there's so much more after market support for all-tracs compared to GTs. They have stuff for all-tracs at horsepowerfreaks. I am trying to get my parents to agree on getting me the all-trac. I hope they get it for me so i can have a Turbo, 4 wheel drive, monster in the garage. First thing i would do is get exhaust then get a bov. thumbsup

GT4
First thing is always the maintenance and tune up.
Then, boost gauge, exhaust, Intake, boost controller, FCD, fuel, IC, clutch, suspension, upgrade Turbo, stand alone, etc...

Boston

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
oh btw, i ran into a "91 Eclipse GS" today at a stop light. The guy looked like he wanted to lead the pack in the upcoming 3 lanes -> 1 lane conversion so i decided heck why not challenge, I should be able to beat him. Btw he had 2 other people in his car. We go and guess what I hear? A freakin Turbo spooling up after i got the jump on him. All i saw from there was his tires breaking everytime he shifted and his tail lights getting further and further away from me. Eventually i pulled up next to him at the next light and asked him how much boost he was running: 16psi... on a custom set up... This is another day where i wish i had an all-trac. It's a short distance before the 3 lanes merge into 1 so i would have owned him with an all-trac... He didn't pull away too fast though even though i heard him punching it.

btw i could skip maintenence and tune up because the lady happened to already do it and have the recipts from it. I would get a gauge bezzle (sp?) and put it on the drivers side of the windshield. That would look tite. Exhaust is always good and BOV would be next for me. Not Intake. I like the sound of HKS SSQ. It sounds awesome even though the waste gate isn't aftermarket.

1990 Toyota Celica ST
1990 Toyota Celica ST
Um... GS are Turbo brother. RS arn't. GSX are awd.

Swap.

GT4
If you want to know more about alltrac and its setup, don't forget to visit alltrac.net, in case you haven't done so. wink

Boston

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
GS is Turboed I thought GS-T and GSX were the only ones that were Turbo.

GT4
Stock GS is NA.
GS-T is Turbo
GSX is Turbo AWD

Boston

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
yeah it was a GS.

he had a custom Turbo set up.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
besides, getting back to the all-trac... How is the ride compared to a regular celica? I've heard it's stiffer. Some people were saying that the CT-26 is a crap Turbo... explain why you think it is or isn't please.

If i did do a swap wouldn't i have to stiffen up the suspension? Also, for swaps a half cut is suggested as the way to go, but they're so expensive compared to engine sets. Does anyone have feedback after using an engine set or a front clip? I would want this to go as smoothe as possible.

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
An all-trac is around 3200 lbs, and a GT is around 2800.
The swaped GT will have no problem keeping up with an all-trac. In fact it will go faster.

You mentionned the eclipse's tire spinning when he shifted, if you want that, swap your celica, the AWD of the all-trac won't make you're tires spin when you shift.

It's really up to you, If I had the chance to sell my celica to get an all-trac, I wouldn't know what to do, since I've put so much money in repair. To an extend I think I would just buy the all-trac and keep my stock 90GT, if you drive them both you put less wear and tear on both cars. And lets be cool about it, a GT is not worth that much, so why sell it if it runs fine? Keep the GT4 for the weekends wave

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
i would so love to have both the all-trac and my GT but garage spaces limit that. Plus I live in a crappy neighborhood where finding parking is a matter of luck. I would love a white all-trac absolutely adore it. Even more if it was Pearl White rice. But, it's just a matter of which will come first now: my engine pooping out on me (5SFE), a good deal on an all-trac, or winning the lottery crazy. But which every one does, i'll still get at least a 200hp car thumbsup. The fastest car i have ever sat in was my bro's NA supra with an Apex'i N1 catback.

1990 Toyota Celica ST
1990 Toyota Celica ST
haha, rs = 1.8, gs - 2.0, gst= fwd 2.0 Turbo, gsx = 2.0t awd

1990 Toyota Celica ST
1990 Toyota Celica ST
swapped celica is faster on highway.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
what about from a dig?

1990 Toyota Celica ST
1990 Toyota Celica ST
AWD kills off the line. subaru wrx sti does 0-60 in 4.6, it only.. haha only, has 300 hp, and weighs a lot. but AWD gets it there. quarter mile isn't that fast, cause it has to distribute power to all four wheels.

1993 Toyota ST185 Turbo Alltrac
1993 Toyota ST185 Turbo Alltrac
Originally Posted by Snafu
AWD kills off the line. subaru wrx sti does 0-60 in 4.6, it only.. haha only, has 300 hp, and weighs a lot. but AWD gets it there. quarter mile isn't that fast, cause it has to distribute power to all four wheels.

Hmmmm...so you are saying my run of [email]12.408@111.99[/email] mph is slow, huh? Damn...back to the drawing board!!

... Come on guys. The GT4 weighs more because it has AWD and the 3sgte engine in it. Don't be a fool rolleyes if you can nab an alltrac, nab it, AWD and 3sgte stock beat the pants out of a swapped GT; AWD owns.

1988 Mazda GXL
1988 Mazda GXL
Hmmm.. I was in the same dilema w/ my 90 GTS. I had decided just to purchase a front clip and do the 3SGTE swap. Really the 3SGTE in a GT or GTS would really be deadly, considering its light weight. But yes off the line the GT4 would own, but on the highway where its fun the GT4 would get owned. Same goes for all the AWD cars, they are all about Acceleration and after that they lose a little steam. I am not saying they are slow its just harder for them to put their power to 4 wheels instead of 2. But hey I thought it out and I just bought a RX7. I love RWD, 50/50 Weight Ratio, and the power the car has to offer. But yeah I still am a major fan of the Celica so I hope everything works out for you thumbsup

No longer considered "SLOW", I'm out for revenge!

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
well basically my loyalty lies with toyota and i too love RWD. The only cars i could really turn to from toyota would be the supra NA or TT, or MR-2 Turbo. All of which are hard to find in good condition and for a reasonable price. I've decided to wait it out to see what comes first. Preferably i would like a NA supra, better yet TT (mkiv era), because both can be made untouchable on the streets. That is what I REALLY want. but my brother already has a NA supra and is gonna Turbo it come the next smog test. I would like to get a supra too but different color than pearl white because that's what he has. But since i gotta keep my celica around, i would like a quick daily driver too because you usually don't run into the nice cars when you're in your nice car.

1988 Mazda GXL
1988 Mazda GXL
Try to find you a Supra TT, I know its hard but if you want a Supra then its a much better route than buying an N/A one. But then again its something that really interests me about seeing a Celica smoke a Supra...Am I giving you any IDEAS? grin

No longer considered "SLOW", I'm out for revenge!

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
Dude your way better off doing a swap IMO. I think a swapped narrow body gt would beat an alltrac in the high end. I've been in a stock swapped gt and alltrac, I would say that the swap is faster because your a couple of 100 pounds lighter and also you don't lose as much power with the drive train. Alltrac will get it off the line but once third gear comes around, it doesn't have much at high speeds. My friend galcrazi from c.net was just at my house this weekend. I rode in his swap @ 11psi. He dynoed his and pulled 202 whp @ 11psi, 95 degree weather and 65% humidity. Thats pretty good when all hes got is a gutted cat and downpipe and a boost controller. Since its a top mount, the heat soak really got to him. If he invests like 300 bucks for a fmic he can pull about 220 maybe on a good day.I wouldn't sell the GT man. I wouldn't sell mine atleast. You say the 5sfe is running great? Why sell it? If you find a alltrac for a good price, I say nab it because those things are really hard to find.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
well N/A supras have a LOT of potential because you could buy a basic kit from non Turbo website and then just stay cool with 325rwhp. Then later on when you get enough money, upgrade the clutch and stuff so the 5 spd will hold together, larger injectors, and a FMIC for around 450rwhp. Then if you wanna go higher just swap out the tranny for a 6spd and you'll be able to run around 500rwhp without worrying that the tranny will break.

TT's are hard as hell to find for a reasonable price and good condition. Most of them are high mileage and the Turbos are about to go.

Swap would be great... but smog is the MAIN problem. How am i gonna smog it? it's not like i wanna pay $500 per "pass." Plus swapping the 5s back in would be a huge chunk of time and it would be time consuming to swap the 3s back in. it's also hard to find USDM 3sgtes for celica swaps. IF that wasn't the problem i would already be bragging about running 200hp wink

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
Well heres a quick solution. Move to a state that doesn't have emissions test such as florida. Either that or just register your tag as a FL vehicle.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
haha i don't really wanna leave the GOLDEN STATE. Plus i heard in florida cars become rust buckets. One guy i know bought an evo8 down in florida new and when he took off the dash to put the wiring for a boost cut controller and manual boost controller in, he found that his car was RUSTED. even though he bought it NEW from the dealer. So yeah... Otherwise i would be down there at titan motorsports or something grin

1991 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville
i would suggest to wait for ur engine to die and see which option comes first... seems like you only race useless cars like the svt focus from the dig and you see way better cars out there on the highway... i would get a swap since all-tracs are hard to find, especially in california, unless you REALLY want a hatchback ... whichever it is ill be happy to sit in it and weigh it down grin

another honda kill story is always welcome

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
lollol roy we'll see.

1991 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville
u kno sure as hell that i wont race you if you get either ed... i wouldn't race you with any of my cars... unless a video is to be made

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
I'm sorry but that bs on that evo. I think it might occur in the northern states where its snows and there is salt on the streets. My 14 year old celica still has its original pain and no rust. How about this you swap in your car and when you go do emissions just find a guy that owns a red celica like yours and give him your papers to run it. Do they check your vin numbers when they run the test?

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
i'm sure they would check your vin numbers because in california they're not that stupid. I'm still thinking on the swap since my 5S is still in good running condition (for some odd reason yesterday it seemed REALLY loud in LA and the air wasn't that cold either). I'm entertaining the thought of getting either an all-trac or a mkiv supra (most likely NA) but i doubt that will happen in a while. Btw people said that valvoline max life "helps" burn less oil at start up from valve leaks? Money is tite right now compared to when i started this thread so my engine pooping out on me would mean i drive my bro's beater car: 82 celica with oxydized "gunmetal" paint cry

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
Well how long have you had your car? I mean haven't you ran the emission test atleast once? I know when they were doing emissions in florida, they didn't check vin numbers.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
when i got it i had to smog it. yes they did check the vin numbers. i dunno if they will in westminster though.

1991 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville
california is gay like that... so many emissions crap... and wuts wrong wit ur old-man? it has more torque than hp and doesnt have a radio... nothing wrong wit dat... haha it was ur first car and you should be proud of it

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
after going 5th gen... there's no turning back... unless me and my bro actually do swap in a straight 6 but that won't be for a LONG time. you forgot no A/C. grin

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
Dude just register your car as a FL car. Find a family member that is willing to do that. IF you have to transfer the tittle to them under their name and yours. Since I live in FL I know you can register your car tag online for 30 bucks. And they mail it out to you. BOOooOOO YAA! thumbsup Problem Solved! DOn't break your head.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
hahahaha

1991 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville
u should paint ur oldman hachiroku style and enter the drift contests... you can learn from ur pops haha.. yea right!.. i would love to drive around that car if it looked like takumi's

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
dude trust me it doesn't look good in white...