Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#26604 Jul 10, 4:28pm
I was wondering, how much would a tv for ur car, to flip out be, and to also hook up a dvd player or a game console to it also be. Please show pics of these. Thanks

Last edited by BlueCelica44; Jul 10, 2003 4:29pm.

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
i saw an ad for an alpine 6.5 inch motorized in dash for 399. thats the cheapest i've seen so far (for a good brand) and you could just hook up yur ps2 or xbox to it for te dvd part.

but does it include the dvd deck? and dont forget about installation fees .i just got mine . it cost me quite a bit a few grand but its better to get alpine for quality pics. thumbsup

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
no dvd deck but you could use a ps2 for that and save like 1400 $$$...yur choice.

I paid about 1200 for my tv and installed and then my ps2 sits in the back
90567-PANA0230.JPG

Closed w/ Alpine XM radio (got it before my tv) :

90568-PANA0229.JPG

PS2 In back so I can dissconnect and take inside to play
90569-PANA0231.JPG

Supertroopers! Best movie thats out meow.
90570-PANA0233.JPG

2004 Lexus IS300
2004 Lexus IS300
rofl rofl

Ill try to post pics if I find a place to host them but usually at the most you can find a monitor for a good deal around 3-4bills.

It's pretty simple if you know how to connect wires power, ground, speakers front left & right and rear left & right and other wires. The input for the AV lines will be located in the back of the monitor/navigation unit. If you buy a DVD/TV/LCD for example.

Some basics:
1. If you put a motorized flip screen without DVD/CD but just a plain monitor just removed the stock connections to your stock deck figure out what the wires mean in the rear of the deck so you can re-wire your new monitor in place. Very very simple. Look in the EverythingCelica. Tech Info it'll show you which wires run to what and will specify what they all mean. It goes the same for a touch screen (watch out for little fingers), combo motorized monitor same ol same ol. Just some companies use different wires when they color-code the connections. Example Toyota!!!! The red for Toyota is not always red. Just make sure you know this and youre good to go.

2. If you're planning on getting just a monitor to flush in with your center console and molding it in. Find a power source to run the monitors power usually 12v source and a ground. The L.C.D Monitor/TV should already be supplied with the proper AV cords so you can run an external unit for viewing a picture on the L.C.D Monitor/TV. Example a Playstation can be your source. Then to get sound get a FM module tuner. This will be your input for the sound to come through the speakers. It works just like a pre-set radio station setting. The FM module will have an AV port for Video (Yellow) and your Red & White (Audio). Plug the PS2 in that module then tune your radio station according to the modules preset where it will pick up audio!

3. Both these setups will usually require you to have a power inverter. A power inverter is just like a wall outlet socket where you can plug things into. Usually they work in you cigarette lighter sockets and plug right in but you can also have steady power if you decide. I recommend just using the cigarette lighter. My trick was go to radio shack get a cigarette lighter socket hide it somewhere where it will be hidden. (example hand rest location). Next connect the power and negative wires plug the inverter socket in that new cigarette lighter location! tada you're set. That's one way if you decide to use your ps2,xbox, separate DVD player, separate head unit, Nintendo 8 bit (right on Isaac!!) etc.

And if you decide on adding more monitors...

4. Hint hint: You will need an AV power amplifier when you split the Video connections so you don't loose picture quality. For those who want that T.V. in the engine bay or wherever you may want to put it.

5. A motorized flip screen L.C.D. 6.5-7 or whatever size you buy will always come with a non viewing safety feature while your vehicle is in motion. It is standard for all monitors that are monitorized in the center console. This prevents the driver from watching T.V. and driving at the same time. Hint hint: if you do plan on buying keep this in mind since many major shops do not disable this feature since it is illegal to. Ruins the fun though doesn't it when you have a T.V. and you can't watch. But! here's a trick you can disable this feature.

Here's how it works it may be different with some monitors that are motorized but the concept is basically the same. What you need to do if located the wire that is connected to disabling the picture. You will figure this out when you connect a monitor but heads up it is usually the wire connected to the parking brake. This wire is located in the back of your monitor and connects to the emergency parking brake to realize a signal. When the e-brake is up the signal is available for viewing on the monitors screen (meaning the car is not in motion since the e-brake is up). So when you put the e-brake down the signal is lost and the monitors picture disappears (meaning the car is in motion). Then you get a blank screen or a caution screen default from factory! This really blows! But you can disable it! With mine all I did was ground it to a good ground location. Ground this wire and tada signal is back!!! And enjoy watching your movies while you drive.

Oh one more thing you may need a new plastic deck kit it's a new mounting plastic bracket that will hold your new deck. The 2000Toyota Echo kit should fit perfect if you can't find a Celica kit. You may need new wiring harness, crimps, electric tape, zip ties, connectors, wires, dremel. But for the most part if you're just doing #1 and just replacing it you can just wire everything and electric tape. I solder all my connections and used crimps for other things it was pretty helpful. If you're creative you can also make one!

Isaac has listed the stereo wiring codes for the GT & GTS heres the link so check it out all the info is already available for ya! Electrical Audio & Video

Hope this helps. For the most part locate the meaning of the wires so youll be more familiar with what youll have to do when you start this project it'll help you throughout your adventure. Good luck!

Originate, Innovate, Never Imitate. Since 2000-04.

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
wow man, thx gold!
i've had those questions for the longest time and you come back and answer it all...thx! haha

shox #26615 Jul 11, 1:28am
Originally Posted by shox
wow man, thx gold!
i've had those questions for the longest time and you come back and answer it all...thx! haha

no prob. bro!

Originate, Innovate, Never Imitate. Since 2000-04.

former member
2001 Volskwagon Golf GTi
former member
2001 Volskwagon Golf GTi
I know here you can get an 7" Screen that comes out of that thingy. AND a dvd player that plays all regions. FOR ONLY $389

Here it is [portablemp3playerstore.com]

I think that you can trust them. The LCD is a no name but its using a panasonic Screen.

thanks for all the info everyone

Last edited by BlueCelica44; Jul 11, 2003 4:52pm.

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
where can you buy JUSS the screen?

don't know

Originally Posted by spaztikid
no dvd deck but you could use a ps2 for that and save like 1400 $$$...yur choice.

Brilliant. I could use the PS2 for games and DVD's. That went right over my head. Lucky for me I came across this thread, it saved my a couple of hundred $$. thumbsup

Gold- Props man, I didn't know nothing about the TV coming w/a safety feature preventing you from watching while driving. Thanks for the input! thumbsup