Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#313470 Oct 30, 12:24am
1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
i was wondering whether you can change the valve body on the celica (automatic of course) to a manual valve body. i've heard of people doing this on american cars and such..and is a nice alternative to a tranny swap.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Then you'd still be stuck with a slow auto, but you'd have to shift it manually EVERY gear change. thumbsdown

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
nah..i mean something like this. www.transgo.com [transgo.com] ..what im asking is..can it be done for the celica?

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
bump

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Manual transmissions don't have a valve body, period.

Blue, seriously, I thought if anybody would know that, it would be you. I am disapointed that you would overlook the above fact just to slam him and his auto celica.

Check the other shift-kit related thread for info, I posted a reply there already.

I'm starting to get sick of the uneducated "anti-auto tranny" comments I have been hearing in the forums, ranging from "autos are stupid, buy a manual" to "the auto GT is faster than the auto GTS". Seriously, do any of you guys think before you type anymore?

I know what auto trannies are capable of, most of my cars have been auto, strictly by my choice. Manuals are fun and all, but the regular replacement of clutches has turned me off to owning one as a daily driver. Sure, they are efficient and offer gerater control over the gears, but for regular transportation, it'a s pain in the ass.

Ask any serious bracket racer, they will tell you that autos are the only way to go, they produce consistent timeslips, and in bracket racing, consistency is what gets you wins, screw a high trap speed, if you can hit your dial-in time, you will win.

Sure, autos are not that impressive from the factory, because the car makers set them for daily driving and smooth shifts. Hell, if the average consumer had to drive a car that would buck and bark it's tires at every stop light, and every gear change felt like a sledgehammer in your back, they wouldn't sell that many. and that's what happens when you recalibrate an auto for performance, the ride loses it's smoothness, the gear changes get pronounced and a bit harsh. imagine every drive feeling like a stoplight drag, not the best thing for the daily commute.

Put in a shift kit, change out the torque convertor, the difference will be like night and day. it's not for everyone, but I personally love hot-rodded automatics.

My heart gets all fluttery when I think back to my old El Camino. 350 small block with a TH350 loaded with a high stall convertor and a real nice shift kit. I would jam through the gears with the column shifter (yes a column shifter) and that rust and primered truck would walk on z28's and vettes on the weekend. it was great fun.

Last edited by Rave669; Oct 30, 2004 5:28pm.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by Rave669
Manual transmissions don't have a valve body, period.

Blue, seriously, I thought if anybody would know that, it would be you. I am disapointed that you would overlook the above fact just to slam him and his auto celica.
Umm, I never said manuals did have a valve body. I thought he was talking about aftermarket ones that let/make you shift an auto tranny manually.

If the Celica's auto trannies weren't so detrimental to their acceleration, I wouldn't have any problem with suggesting them. But most people on these boards who actually ask about trannies are asking about performance, so why dig yourself a hole to climb out of before you even start to mod the car?

Manuals are fun and all, but the regular replacement of clutches has turned me off to owning one as a daily driver. Sure, they are efficient and offer gerater control over the gears, but for regular transportation, it'a s pain in the ass.
And there's your typical anti-manual comment. rolleyes I happen to love driving my manual GTS, even through rush hour traffic. BTW, I've got 100K on my stock clutch. grin

My heart gets all fluttery when I think back to my old El Camino. 350 small block with a TH350 loaded with a high stall convertor and a real nice shift kit. I would jam through the gears with the column shifter (yes a column shifter) and that rust and primered truck would walk on z28's and vettes on the weekend. it was great fun.
Must've been nice having an engine 3x bigger than a 1ZZ/2ZZ, and all the torque that came with it. tongue You didn't have to worry about gearing or lack of low end power anywhere near as much as a Celica does (especially a 2ZZ). Even with a shift kit, torque converter, and NA mods, the best he can hope for NA is to beat a stock GT. Not worth all the time and $$$$ put into it when he could've picked up a turbo and smoked most modded NA GTS', or a TRD SC and beaten stock GTS'.

2004 Toyota Celica
2004 Toyota Celica
Not worth all the time and $$$$ put into it when he could've picked up a turbo and smoked most modded NA GTS', or a TRD SC and beaten stock GTS'.

hahaha a turbo'd gt done right can roast any modded gts thumbsup

[Linked Image]

1985 Toyota Celica
1985 Toyota Celica
confused

"if pimpin' is dead then I'm bring it back
mata fact it never died so I take that back" -Lil Wayne-

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by JSPITZ
Not worth all the time and $$$$ put into it when he could've picked up a turbo and smoked most modded NA GTS', or a TRD SC and beaten stock GTS'.

hahaha a turbo'd gt done right can roast any modded gts thumbsup
Depends on how powerful the engine is, and what kind of traction mods it has.