Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I posted this problem on the other celica forum (*hint, initials of North Carolina) but I was wondering if someone here can help me out. I got my GTS like a 1 month ago approx.. anyways, it came w/ tons of problems.. non real serious but just Pain in the asses going to the dealership etc. One of them was a squeaking throttle bearing that makes noise all the time..at idle and what not, and only goes away when i push in the clutch.

anyways, the problem i need fixed is.. everytime i shift, the RPM blips up. When im accelerating.. Usually when im shifting really really slow and taking my time, it doesn't do that much, but when im accelerating, it just blips like crazy in all my shifts. I go 1-2 shift, and RIGHT when push in the clutch it blips up about 500 RPM and comes back down when the clutch engages at the friction point. I know it's not my driving cause .. first off, i took my foot off the acclerator OVER and OVEr to see if that was it, but even when im accelerating and i just PUSH in the clutch w/o giving it gas, it blips up. Second, I had the technician at Puente Hills drive it and he did the exact same thing cept when he found that out, he starts driving all slow and dumping the clutch to make it look like nothing's wrong and just said it was my driving. Any ideas? I'm gonna clean the MAF with some brake cleaner and the IAV with some cleaners too... but maybe it has something to do w/ the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, or throwout bearing (tranny system)? Afterall, the technician DID say that the squealing was from the pressure plate being misaligned w/ the flywheel and it was making noise. Maybe this RPM blip is caused by that.

BTW, DO NOT go to Puente Hills Toyota. IF you hear my "screw over" story, you will want to burn the place down. I love my car and i got it from where, but if i had known the kind of service, sales (cheating), etc. that they offered, i would've found a different car, even if it had more mileage and no warranty.
I will post my Puente Hills Dealership story later when New/C.org is up and running cause i made a thread there... but long story short: Do not be fooled by their remodeling, w/ their Wi-fi and free computer access, big screen tv, and free coffee. If you want free coffee and wi-fi access, go to a Cafe. That dealership is unbelievable, so i filed an official complaint and im getting it dealt w/ Guest Relations and the District Manager. (Oh yeah, i have warranty for 1 month/2000 miles on the used car for ANYTHING i find wrong, and then after that i have the extended powertrain warranty, yet they refused to fix my problems. you know why? And i quote, "Too much work". That's the manager's reason. Both the sales manager and the service manager, even though the tech diagnosed the problem, the manager came out and flat out said, "You bought the used car, you knew what you were getting into. Used cars have problems, deal with it. I'm not gonna spend my time fixing your car cause it bothers you, plus you and i both know that you bought it at a great price. Have a nice day." and just walked away..)

I got carried away w/ the dealership part but someone help me w/ the RPM blip problem. Thanks

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Don't worry about it, my gts does it too

Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Mine did the same thing.

I could be coasting, I'd push the clutch in and vroom it would go up a little.

To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
and sung with exultation
To know even one life has breathed easier
This is to have succeeded.

oh really? Wow i didn't know that.. Hm weird. So is it normal? Or.. DiabloGTS, you said it "did", so did you happen to fix it or are you saying that cause you got a new car or something? Well thanks for the feedback

Metal Storm 2040
2000 Toyota Celica
Metal Storm 2040
2000 Toyota Celica
Try not to hit the gas pedal as fast as you do when you are ready to disengage your clutch. Happened to me but i taught myself to ease on the gas after i shifted.

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
it is normal for the rev to jump a little bit when you step on the clutch, it should be nothing noticable. anywhere from 1-3 rpm.

if the rpm jumps more, then it is a common newb mistake when you first learn to drive stick

Last edited by sheizen; Nov 12, 2004 1:19am.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Diablo said it "did" because he had sold his car since

Oh okay.. thanks. It sounds normal. Another guy w/ a GT said his car did that too, and he said that he HEARD it was some anti-stalling mechanism but wasn't sure. Yeah it's not my driving cause i did try the "release the gas FAST, and then push in the clutch" but it still shot up a little. It's not too much like when the clutch is slipping, its about 500 RPM? which is like 4-5 POINTS on the RPM gauge. It all depends on how fast im shifting and accelerating. Thanks

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Squeaky throttle bearing that goes away when you step on the clutch?

Anti-stalling mechanism?

How many times have you visited the dealership with these problems before they told you it was too much work?

Btw, I think it's your driving that's causing the blip.

^ nope not my driving. im not HOLDING the gas pedal or anything. even the toyota "pro" mechanic did it when i said for him to accelerate. Plus if you read above, a bunch of people say it's normal.. so im guessing it is cause there's no other explanation for it.

But about the problems.. yes i have a squeaky throttle bearing that was diagnosed by the mechanic 4 times! to be a misalignment in the pressureplate. I have gashes and blobs of cheap ass spray paint over my car and yes some other stuff. I found those problems within 2 days after i bought my car (i bought my car last month) and i took it in and after having talked to all these people... it took 3 hours cause some were ignoring me or whatnot.. but after 3 hours, basically the sales manager straight up said "we can't fix it for you. it's too much work and you knew that used cars have problems, you knew what you were getting into. Have a good day." so... yeah, i went to the dealership ONCE.

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Sounds like mr. sales manager needs an up close and personal with a customers' nutsack!! spineyes

Life is the sexually transmitted interruption of an otherwise peaceful existence...

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
yeap just a newb mistake when pressing gas and not realeasing

2004 Toyota Celica
2004 Toyota Celica
My '04 GTS does the same thing. I guess it's possible that it has to do with the drive-by-wire mechanism (dunno what year the guys above are running smile ).

But anyway, it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Only happens when shifting from full-throttle, no matter what speed/RPM.

[Linked Image]

^ yeah exactly.. ONCE again, it's not my driving. im getting a little peeved from people telling me that all the time cause they don't understand the problems. My friends just says "dude it's cause you suck" or something.. arg..

Anyways, this dealership will payyy!!

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
mine does it to on my gt... has never been a problem... just have to watch it when i drag.