Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#3319 May 30, 11:35am
I've heard from numerous dealers that the celica's stick is not a good one. Many customers have returned their celica's to repair the stick-shift because you can easily miss a gear. I also heard from a dealer that the clutch easily can wear out. The manual transmission that they use is a german piece and that was probably the problem. the next batch of celica's will have a new and improved USA made manual trans. Has anyone else heard of this?

I can't access that link, it says it's forbidden.

jpra, I have heard something about the mis-shifting, but nothing else. I've had my 2k GTS 6spd for almost 2 yrs now w/ almost 50k miles on it, and the clutch still works fine and I've never mis-shifted...just thought you'd like some advice..I dunno if it helps though

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
i got a GTS manual and i've had it since jan. I ALMOST Mis-shifted once or twice but never disengaed the clutch in the wrong gear...

HOWEVER... the reverse gear and 2nd gear grinds and its nasty

late

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I had the same problem when I first bought my 2000 gts but I thought it was cause I was being lazy and not pushing the clutch in all the way finally I realized it was the synchros so I brought it to toyota and they gave me a brand new tranny for free gotta love it especially the two gears of rubber

i don't have the celica yet. i have it all planned out including my mods, but when i heard about this problem i hesitated. Well since you got it fixed by toyota for free i guess it'll be ok. i just rather not deal with it in the long run. Think they can tell right away if it needs to be changed or not?

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
quote:
Originally posted by jpra923:
i don't have the celica yet. i have it all planned out including my mods, but when i heard about this problem i hesitated. Well since you got it fixed by toyota for free i guess it'll be ok. i just rather not deal with it in the long run. Think they can tell right away if it needs to be changed or not?
[/quote]If you go and buy a new car... you get a new car... CARS ARE CARS AND THINGS WILL GO WRONG WITH THEM... whether its the engine, or tran or what have you... [Mad]

i dont like admitting it but the celica isnt perfect... I've noticed many things i dont like but it doesnt outnumber the things I DO LIKE about the car...IMO

IF YOU DONT WANT CAR TROUBLES DONT BUY A CAR
late

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
sorry if i seemed uptight about the last post heh grin

it's kew. Just the idea of having to replace your tranny after buying a new car kinda sux, ya know what i mean?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The celica transmission is different than other transmissions, this can be a problem if you are not used to it. I learned how to drive on my celica and I love it, I've never misshifted, except i once went into reverse instead of first grin . The transmission is not the cars weakness, I think it is its strength. I love it. As for having problems, I havent had any major problems with the car yet, there are minor things and Toyota will take care of you if its under warrantee. Ive heard horror storys about Mitsubishi's warantee services, but Ive never heard anything bad about toyota. I personally am very happy with Toyota and how they have taken care of my car under the warantee.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
quote:
Originally posted by Ag3ntOrangE:
The celica transmission is different than other transmissions, this can be a problem if you are not used to it. I learned how to drive on my celica and I love it, I've never misshifted, except i once went into reverse instead of first grin . The transmission is not the cars weakness, I think it is its strength. I love it. As for having problems, I havent had any major problems with the car yet, there are minor things and Toyota will take care of you if its under warrantee. Ive heard horror storys about Mitsubishi's warantee services, but Ive never heard anything bad about toyota. I personally am very happy with Toyota and how they have taken care of my car under the warantee.
[/quote]thumbsup

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
for you guys who have that gritty shifting or you hear a noise when you shift. i had the same problem. their are connecting rods with joints on the end of them that are used to shift the gears.(ask someone to shift gears for you as you look under your hood. it right underneath the computer box that says do not open.) all i did was regrease these joints and now my shifts even feel better than when it was new.

to regrease them you must take out the pins that hold the washers in place. becareful not to lose them and make sure you remember how they are put back together.

the reason why this happens is because the bushings and washers on each end get dirty.

NOTE: make sure you use right grease. wd40 may work but that is a temporary solution.

email me if you need more information.