Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#439266 Apr 10, 11:17am
2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Hi Everyone. First time to post but have been visiting for the last couple of weeks. Lovin the website.

I live in Ireland and i just purchased a Japanese imported auto/tiptronic 2000 Celica VVTL-i, think its called a GTS in the rest of the world! It came with a TV and Sat/nav but neither work in Ireland. I believe all i need is a Toyota Navagiation DVD of Europe for the Sat nav to work, can anyone confirm this?

Also i am trying to get the TV to work but we operate on the PAL I system and the Japanese work on NTSC. I can buy a converter to change PAL into NTSC but i dont know where to fit it. I have taken out the center dash and got in behind the TV but i has no connections beside a connector with about 8 wires going into it, I was expecting some kind of AV socket. Does anyone know where the TV tuner is so i can fit a convertor?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
1953565661-TV.jpg

I dont suffer from insanity,
I enjoy it!!

CF Connoisseur
2004 Toyota Celica
CF Connoisseur
2004 Toyota Celica
i dont know how to fix it but damn ur a lucky guy. That looks so awsome. Congrats and Welcome smile thumbsup

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
That is a sweet ride!

Is the converter an In-Line type or does it broadcast a wireless signal? Post a pic of the converter and connections. You may need a Y adaptor for the antenna coax.

mrluilou #439270 Apr 10, 10:21pm
2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
oh so that's what it looks like with all those buttons, well I have a filler plate that looks like ass

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT

I didnt buy the converter yet but the one im looking at is an in line, but thats the problem theirs no place to plug it into. Their is no aerial going into the back of the Monitor so im gussin the TV tuner is located some where else, i also cant find the aerial for the TV, i thought it might be using the radio aerial but i pluged it out and picture (when i say picture i mean a faint image jumpin all over the place)that im getting stayed the same.
I am at a loss.

I enjoy it!!

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
My guess would be that the radio does both. That's just a blind guess. Chase the wires!

Gooleing the subject led me to the understanding that the signal must be a video line in (already modulated) then converted, finally sent out as a line out.

Is there an American military base nearby where you can park outside of the installation and see if you can get a signal in NTSC so you can confirm that the unit is working in local TV mode?

1999 Toyota Celica GTS JDM
Hi TripleDeuce, welcome to the forums wave . good to see another irishman here. that system cant be changed to work here. no dealer will give you a cd first and even if he did it wouldnt work. tried and tested. the tele can be ported either cause it tunes in a completly different band to the irish bands. also the tele cant be used even if you got an in dash dvd player. tried that also. dont suppose you want a coilover kit for that sucker?

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Thanks everyone.
Marlyman, i was afraid that was going to be the answer, Did you try a NTSC convertor or is there just no place to plug it in?

Back to the drawing board!

I enjoy it!!

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
eekauto climate control

2004 Toyota Celica GT
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Toyota got cheap on the U.S. market. thumbsdown

I want a Nissan Nismo 350Z!

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Well I have almost the same problem as you my car was imported straight from Japan unfortunately the manual was in Japanese still looking for one in english , the FM works from 76Mhz to 88 Mhz instead of 88 Mhz to 108 Mhz , satellite navigation does not work since the car did not come with the DVD MAP. The TV as you say is NTSC I do sometimes get a black and white image but of very bad quality tv system here is SECAM, the DVD player works fine so does the MD and CD player sound quality is very good. If you do find a way to change the tuner or the FM freq range lemme know. At least I have a video in and tv in input.. One more thing all the instructions on the screen are in Japanese.
Semd me a PM guys if you have managed to make a Japanese system work in another country ..

Yovan #439278 Apr 12, 8:02am
Triple : didnt try converter just gave up after 10 days of googling.

Yovan : as far as i know those imputs are for a pal system also so they may not work and i dont know anyone thats managed a conversion. sorry.

Marlyman #439279 Apr 12, 10:11am
2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
!! dang you got lucky with that tv, good luck in trying to figure everything out!!
thumbsup

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Marlyman : there are a few electronic boxes wired to the main unit under the car carpet passenger seat nothing much written on the box only DENSO. I hope that the tuner is not inside the main unit coz I don't really want to modify anything in it. The antenna is a transparent plastic film antenna on the windscreen. I will keep you posted if I manage to do something.

Yovan #439281 Apr 13, 7:25am
2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
WOWZERS Nice nice nice...

LUCKY.. thumbsup

Yovan #439282 Apr 13, 7:28am
2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Yovan, If you can find the wire connecting the aerial to the tv you should be able to interrupt it with a convertor. Is the aerial on the back window?

Also did you get the Sat nav to play DVDs? I know its a DVD rom but it wont play DVDs for me.

I enjoy it!!

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by TripleDeuce
Yovan, If you can find the wire connecting the aerial to the tv you should be able to interrupt it with a convertor. Is the aerial on the back window?

Also did you get the Sat nav to play DVDs? I know its a DVD rom but it wont play DVDs for me.

Yepp DVD plays fine , the aerial is a plastic film on the front windsheild . My NAVI/TV/DVD system is a bit different form yours see https://celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/thread.f_1953481399_0_collapsed_5__1.html.

Can you give me more details of the convertor you said , where can I find it ??

I have the same car and the same problem.

I swapped out my stereo for a JVC with bluetooth but still want to utilise the screen in there so I've been researching on how to do it (had the car for two years now so not exactly rushing....)

The DVD in your boot will likely not play an EU region Sat Nav DVD due to the region differences, unless Toyota have had OEM region free disc players in '01. You can buy the Satnav maps from here: Official site - http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/ or on eBay depending on your preferences and can then try to player to see if it works.

Alternatively you could replace the player altogether with one of these (if you check the connections they seem to match up so should be an easy swap) http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Toyota-Avens...n_Car_Technology&hash=item19c56a2919

Replacing the player may bypass the Jap conversion issues and show you something on your screen and it would be a cheaper and easier way of resolving the issue than getting a new screen (or one that fits that exact size) and manually installing it yourself. The Dvd replacement could be done in half an hour with no removal of centre console necessary.

You may be asking why I haven't done this myself if it's so bloody easy? Well when installing my JVC unit I had to do some creative wiring as the original wiring harness was the Jap version which naturally had some additional wires that I had no use for at the time. Of course these wires were for the Sat Nav which now has no power to the screen as a result...I just haven't had the heart to go back in to re-wire everything since, especially as everything else works perfectly for me.

If you ever give this a go and get it to work let please let me know and I'll be straight back into the centre console to get this up and running!

I don't really care about the maps aspect TBH as Google maps is the only thing you ever need, it's more about the fact that this piece of kit is just sitting there doing nothing when it could be on and looking amazing everytime I get in the car. Celica's are very good looking cars and I want mine to look its best at all times smile

Anyway, update this thread and let us know how you get on if you ever decide to take the plunge.

EDIT* You can also get the discs here: http://www.satnavi.com/toyota.php

EDIT again** Here are the instructions for installing a Celica Sat Nav; not for the faint-hearted! http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimupload...4727F6%7D/TNS%20500%20RHD%20N1RT23-F.pdf