I have a 2003 Celica GT 5spd

So the other evening I was on my way home and going around 40 MPH, all of a sudden I hear a whine and then a knock knock knock constantly. I pulled over and got out to inspect my car to see if it was anything obvious. Could not find any issue. Got back in and tried to move along slowly and still heard the knocking that got louder at higher speed. I got to about 25MPH and stopped again worrying about doing any more damage.

Based on the sound and slight jiggle that I could feel on my drivers side I figured it was the CV joint as I have had 1 fail in my 1990 GT-S and it behaved the same. Mechanic friend drove car up and down rode and said it was either CV joint or Wheel Bearing.

Over the past few days I have installed a NEW CV joint, NEW Wheel Hub, NEW Wheel Bearing, drained and refilled Transmission Oil with Redline MT90. I consider myself pretty handy when it comes to more basic problems with vehicles so I can avoid extra costs at mechanics.

Now here is the real worry. When I was replacing the CV Joint, I noticed that my joint would turn in the transmission about a quarter turn and then stick. If you put a good amount of pressure in turning it, it jolts free for about another quarter turn and then sticks again.

Since this was happening with the joint free from the hub assembly, that rules out the bearing, hub, brake calipers/rotors.

Seems to be getting stuck in the transmission.

Went over to the passenger side and tried turning that wheel. Turns with slight pressure but you can hear a constant ticking as the wheel is spinning and the sound is coming from where the axle meets the transmission. The faster you spin the wheel the faster the clicking is on that side.

So the driver side has a knock that is the wheel getting stuck and then unstuck every quarter turn and the right side has a click constantly.

These noises are VERY noticeable once you start moving 10+ MPH.

Im assuming the worst and that my tranny is shot but hoping that this is fixable without spending $1000+ as it is an older car and I can buy another Celica for around 3000.

Any help is appreciated.