Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#56339 Oct 28, 4:00pm
has anyone on here had any personal experience with an automatic gt and an average setup with i/h/e sorta deal and a 50 shot? any 1/4 times yet? everyone has heard things or can estimate, but id LOVE to see if anyone has done it and what the result was hopefully theres someone out there who has. thanks a ton!

im posting this again because for some reason my last post was deleted. thumbsdown

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
all i know is that you shouldnt use a 50 shot very often or else you will blow the engine. thumbsdown

a kid told me that celicas handle like crap... i laughed

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
i just don't like N2O
it is not for me

Do What You Do

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Some FYI before everyone gets all excited - Nitrous oxide injection is very much like a supercharger or a compression ratio increase in that, during combustion, it can dramatically increase the dynamic cylinder pressure in the engine - too much and you my have just caused serious damage to your engine.

Of course, when you significantly increase the cylinder pressure in the engine, you also increase the engine's tendancy to detonate. This is why almost all nitrous motors require retarded spark timing during nitrous oxide operation. The cylinder pressure increase is also why, when misused or improperly installed, operation with nitrous causes problems with head gasket seal and failures of the rings or pistons. I should point out that any number of things that put an engine into severe detonation, such as too much boost from a supercharger, low octane fuel, excessive compression ratio or overly lean air-fuel ratio will also cause the same kinds of damage.

Another challenge with a nitrous oxide system is getting the delivery of nitrous oxide and additinonal fuel at the correct proportions. If you feed nitrous to the engine without enough extra fuel, the lean air/nitrous to fuel mixture will make the detonation problem even worse. Combustion temperatures will skyrocket and catistropic failure is certain to occur. If the proportion is such that too much fuel is delivered, the power advantage degrades rapidly.

As you can see, nitrous oxide is like any other power increasing modification in that, when used wisely and installed properly, it works well. Then used foolishy or installed incorectly it can significantly reduced the reliability/durability of your engine.

Small doses of nitrous oxide can be used in stock engines to gain 25-35% more power. In my opinion, any more than nitrous than that with a stock engine compromises durability too much. This is not only true of nitrous but any modification. Take a stock 82 or 84 engine, up the horsepower to 300hp and do nothing to improve durability and your engine will eventually suffer. Once you pass the 35% power increase mark with nitrous oxide you need to look at things like forged pistons, better connectiing rods, better bearings, etc.

Nitrous oxide is also a great value on a dollar-per-unit-power increase when installed and operated properly. The downside, of course, is the fun ends quiclky. The power boost lasts as long as the nitrous. The average bottle is a 20 pounder and with a street V8 that might be worth 20 seconds of use.

So, nitrous oxide is not the instant-engine-failure many people think it is. When used properly and when dispensed by a properly designed and installed system nitrous oxide can be responsible for some phenominal increases in power.

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

Originally Posted by fastceli2001
all i know is that you shouldnt use a 50 shot very often or else you will blow the engine. thumbsdown

lol, you need to educate yourself. i myself was once one to believe everything ppl told me on the net even tho 80% of the ppl who said they knew it all now i look back and laugh that i could possibly believe that. but before ya make big statements like that, research, do some tuning on your own, read up on things, then make your decision. if all you know is what you read on internet chat rooms and coummunities, you will never have any place in racing. being able to turn the wheel and shift a lever will only get you so far. i built a 12 second car with less then 5000 invested and drove it daily to work. a year before i didnt even know how a turbo setup functioned.

and listen to the last poster he made excellent points. also, ppl have the common idea that nitrous is death to engines like he stated. but at the same time a turbo or sc is perfectly safe. all 3 function on the same principles somewhat. all of them are death to an engine. all you have to do is turn up your boost a little too high, run a little too lean, or a little too big of a jet on your n20. mods dont kill engines. stupidity does. you can run a 50 shot on your celica for the next 5 years and never have a problem if you use it correctly. pay what it costs for a real setup. and have it installed professionally if you do not already know the system in and out.

back to topic. smile

anyone know anybody personally who has sprayed a auto gt and the results they recieved, id be really excited how they did.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
GT can handle the 50shot no problem even a 75 for that matter. GTS the highest I would use is a 50 shot though.

Not all it is about the 35% power though Isaac's post is good. The compression ratio plays a role in this type of mod also.

Mike00 #56345 Oct 28, 11:37pm
yup, the gt can run a 50 all day long and not have a problem. only problems come into play is when theres a bad install, user error or abuse, half assing a setup, or just plain stupidity. if anyone here reads this and is considering nitrous for your car. buy the nx kit, and GET the genx-2 upgrade kit! its for your own good and you will be delivering more power with it anyways since it comes with a purge solonoid and bottle warmer. but thigns like window switches fuel switches blow down tubes etc arent options just pay the extra money and enjoy your nitrous setup. then you will have a fast car, little money spent, and plenty of reliability