Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
i did a search and couldn't find it...if i missed it just gimmie a link, thanks.

i see people with heat soaking cloth or something on their intake manifolds, and i was wondering if that made a difference, and where to buy and how to install.

thanks a lot

Not just another girl's car...

former member
2001 Volskwagon Golf GTi
former member
2001 Volskwagon Golf GTi
See here!!!

you can see some pics there, Just ask that guy grin

you can get it from summit racing for 25 bucks for 1" by 25 ft. (i think, i dont remember)

it keeps the heat away from the intake manifold and soaks up the heat(from tne manifold) and releases it as you drive.
all you do is wrap it over the manifold and use clamps on the ends. its not too hard. just takes time to wrap.
[Linked Image from imagestation.com]

rip celi...
95 240sx

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I don't know if that actually benefits the performance of your car. If you think about it, the intake manifold will get its heat fromt he head which gets its heat from the combustion chambers. That heat wrap, if anything, will insulate the intake manifold once it gets warm and make it retain its heat rather than let it disipate out of the manifold. Wrapping it may benefit performance when the intake manifold is cold but once it heats up it may had adverse effects.

Originally Posted by element_celica
you can get it from summit racing for 25 bucks for 1" by 25 ft. (i think, i dont remember)

it keeps the heat away from the intake manifold and soaks up the heat(from tne manifold) and releases it as you drive.
all you do is wrap it over the manifold and use clamps on the ends. its not too hard. just takes time to wrap.
[Linked Image from imagestation.com]

You want wrap the exhaust manifolds. Like Steven said, all it will do is help the manifold retain heat. Good for exhaust, not for intake.

i'll test it..
i'll take the heat shield off of 2 intake ports and leave the other 2 with it..
then i'll drive it around and take a thermometor and take the temperatures of each intake port.
then i will see if it has made a difference.
i need to go buy a thermometer, i'll post my results tomorrow.

rip celi...
95 240sx

Originally Posted by Michael Aristide
You want wrap the exhaust manifolds. Like Steven said, all it will do is help the manifold retain heat. Good for exhaust, not for intake.

i had it on my header, all it did was burn it and make it have a horrible smell.
i was planning on doing it to my exhaust pipes but it will probably have the same effects on it.

rip celi...
95 240sx

It'll have a bad smell for a little while, but the benefits should be worth it, plus the smell goes away. You wanna keep the exhaust gasses as hot as possible.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
wrapping the intake is a bad idea,it would just cause the heat that is conducted from the head to the manifold to stay longer to dissipate into the open.the intake would actually retain this heat which is bad for performance!

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

Thanks for repeating what at least two different ppl in this thread have already stated... rofl slap

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica

wrapping the exhaust manifold is really good even down to the exhaust flange.this helps a lot esp.with custom ehausts that has slightly bigger piping.the trapped heat doesnt dissipate into the air because of the insulation.it stays in the pipe causing the exhaust gasses to have more preasure(air moves from high preasure areas to lower preasure area faster as it gets hotter,thus causing more flow and ultimatly more hp/torque!i think i noticed a difference in exhaust sound when the wrapping was put on as well.

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Yea exactly, wrapping your exhaust pipes does two things: 1) Keeps air surrounding the pipes from increasing ambient temperature and 2) keeps the exhaust gases consistent and hot. The hotter the exhaust gases, the faster they flow = good. Cold exhaust = bad (slow flow).

Originally Posted by hybridcelica

wrapping the exhaust manifold is really good even down to the exhaust flange.this helps a lot esp.with custom ehausts that has slightly bigger piping.the trapped heat doesnt dissipate into the air because of the insulation.it stays in the pipe causing the exhaust gasses to have more preasure(air moves from high preasure areas to lower preasure area faster as it gets hotter,thus causing more flow and ultimatly more hp/torque!i think i noticed a difference in exhaust sound when the wrapping was put on as well.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Thanks for repeating what at least two different ppl in this thread have already stated... rofl slap
all that in just three sentences! read on grasshopper.what was i thinking!i'm so sorry,maybe i was about to say something about the "specific heat capacity of of aluminum(J/Kg degrees C) being a certain mass in (kg)would "conduct" heat from the manifold in a specific time (t)and raised to a maximum temperature in degrees (c) while the insulation being a specific mass(kg)and with a set specific heat capacity (J/Kg/C)will conduct heat from the heated air in the engine compartment of maximum temperature (C)through "radiation" then we throw in the "heat equation" being heat(C) obsorbed or radiated is equal to the mass (kg)times the change in temperatur(C)times the specific heat capacity of the substance.then we get to the real hard part of "thermal dynamics" of calculating the rate of change in temp.,speed and density of the air in the intake (where power is concerned) and the heat capacity of the air in the engine compartment the insulation and the aluminum and which one would take x amount of time to reach the point they no longer want to give or receive more latent heat...i think i just blanked out and wrote what two other persons said!this is supposed to be a good pass time and its not F1.some people just like the simple stuff yes and no,good bad,more performance no performance.smile and keep up the good posts!

Umm...I don't know if you were trying to diss me or whatnot. Either way you just wasted a whole bunch of typing rofl rofl Point is, the hotter the exhaust gasses stay, the better they flow (exhaust scavenging). You achieve this by wrapping the exhaust. Period. No special equations necessary. wave

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Umm...I don't know if you were trying to diss me or whatnot. Either way you just wasted a whole bunch of typing rofl rofl Point is, the hotter the exhaust gasses stay, the better they flow (exhaust scavenging). You achieve this by wrapping the exhaust. Period. No special equations necessary. wave
yeah... thats what i thought you wouldnt have a clue as to what those equations are!everyone always say do this/that,and when comes the big question"why" or "prove it" they dont know shitt because they just know the theory and have never done the practical or cannot put the real life numbers to it!i believe this forum has a lot of brilliant minds and sometimes the ideas will all be similar.if i wanted to be different and i could have!i would have posted the one with the equations but as i said this is not formula 1(some of it by the way are the fundamentals of exhaust/intake flow and material)but unfortunatly i had to post something that was similar to what two other guys said! that was really dumb of me!ps: i'm pretty sure that you can learn a lot from a dummy,smile and keep up the good posts! wink

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
let's keep it clean boys

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
physics is hard

I haven't taken fluid mechanics or thermodynamics yet since I'm only second year. All I know is the theory, and as far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to know. If you wanna try and impress people on the internet to fuel your ego, that's your prerogative, but I'm almost 99% sure his question was answered prior to your lecture. Either way, I'm good. wave

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I haven't taken fluid mechanics or thermodynamics yet since I'm only second year. All I know is the theory, and as far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to know. If you wanna try and impress people on the internet to fuel your ego, that's your prerogative, but I'm almost 99% sure his question was answered prior to your lecture. Either way, I'm good. wave
hey michael i'm gonna be doing a little experiment with a top speed exhaust in the near future and since you pretty much know a lot about exhausts and flow(i like the part about how many times...backpreasure)i was wondering if i can send you a pic and ask your opinion on a few things.ps:i'm cool,even if your not thumbsup

Oh I'm ok, don't worry about me. cool Let's just squash this. Internet beef is retarded either way you look at it. It was a misunderstanding on both our parts. I didn't post anything about backpressure in this thread though. confused Anyway, I guess you can send me the pic at [email]arist4a9@erau.edu.[/email] smile