Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

1992 Toyota Celica ST
1992 Toyota Celica ST
Im new here, but I have a '92 celica ST. my engine needs replacing and I have read that the 5sfe is a direct replacement. I can get a JDM 5sfe cheaper than my original 4sfe, but I wanted to know if anyone knows if this is a direct swap or if I will need a new ECU or anything? I would love to get the cheaper and better engine, but not if there is anything else besides the motor needed for the swap. thanks.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by shortfuse
Im new here, but I have a '92 celica ST. my engine needs replacing and I have read that the 5sfe is a direct replacement. I can get a JDM 5sfe cheaper than my original 4sfe, but I wanted to know if anyone knows if this is a direct swap or if I will need a new ECU or anything? I would love to get the cheaper and better engine, but not if there is anything else besides the motor needed for the swap. thanks.
first of all you need to find out which motor really came with your celica,look under the hood itself it should be there close to the timing,and conforms to the year 1992 blah blah blah.when you post that info i will let you know which motors can be droped in with no modifications.the ecu has to be changed though!the reason its confusing me is,i dont think there is a 4sfe,and the 5sfe is not jdm spec,it was designed by toyota for the us market celicas and camrys! the motor that came in the jdm celicas were the 3sge(twin cam 16 wide angle head)you need to let me know exactly what motor you got cause depending on the motor,some replacements wont fit cause they fit on an angle,while other fit straight up and the mounts wont work and the tranny wont work either,cause of the different input shaft.

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

1992 Toyota Celica ST
1992 Toyota Celica ST
my engine is the 4sfe (the 1.6). all of the engine shops Ive looked up say that the 5sfe (1.5) is a direct replacement. The 5sfe came in a few different cars (89-93 celica & corolla), but I dont know if it was released for japanese spec or not. the place Im buying the engine from claims all there engines are JDM imports, but it really dosent matter to me if it is or not. I just want to swap it if its painless, if its a hassel I will just pay more for the 4sfe and be done. thanks for the response

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
i told you to check the under the hood,toyota does make a 4s but its an 1.8 liter and rare, the 4afe is 1.6 liter and the 5sfe is not 1.5 its a 2.2 liter.i think the motor you are refering to is the 5af which is also a direct replacement for starlets with the non turbo engine!let me know after you have checked under your hood.some of the motors do look a like and if you dont know what to look for you might mistake one for the other egs: corolla with 4af 1.6 and 7af 1.8 most mechanics cant tell them apart!

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

1992 Toyota Celica ST
1992 Toyota Celica ST
Sorry, the whole time I was meaning 4AFE ( and 5AFE. I must have had the 's' in my brain from when I was considering spending $$$ and going 3SGTE (the turbo was SO tempting). anyway, thanks for sorting through my mistake and still responding. here is the swap Im looking at:

89-93
Celica, Corolla, Geo Prizm, DOHC, 16 Valve, FI, 2 WD Only, Injectors in Head
4AFE

to

88-92
Corolla, Replaces 4AFE(injectors on Cylinder Head), FI
5AFE-Early

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
thats ok dude we all make mistakes,now lets get down to the matter.
1)any celica with an s in the engine number no matter year or spec(jdm,us,eu etc.)can do a swapp with any toyota engine with an s in the engine number without to much hassle.egs. 5sfe to 3sge or 3sgte etc.engine sits at an angle tilting backwards.
2)you started of with a celica engine that has "a" in it so it would be easier to replace it with an "a" type engine. egs. 4afe to 4age.motor drops right in, no refabricating of mounts and engine clearing cross-member problems.engine sits straight up.
3)the 5a is smaller i think(dont quote me on that) 1.5 liter
but it has slightly more horses because of the ecu and emmision control.
4)this is my thought,if you are going to do an upgrade,or change the motor,do it with something you can feel good about.it will be difficult to go from 4afe to 3sge or 3sgte or the least 5sfe(cause those motors sits at an angle and the mounts and crossmember would have to be changed!
the 4afe you said costs a good penny,and the 5af even though its an improvement isnt much to talk about!that leaves another angle,why dont you stick to the "a" motors but go with a high performance one.like the 4age 1.6 liter twin cam,(they came in the mr2,corolla gts/fx,levin,etc.)its a direct drop in.they came in a wide range of years and all of them has more power and torque than the 4af and 5af some are well over 170 hp with hard hitting torque to match!and can easily be upgraded with mods to make for a hi revving 1.6 liter beast! the decision rests with you however,i can only give you advice on what i think from a technical point of view.
if it was up to me i would,get my ass on ebay and search for a 4age with tranny and ecu,or even a 4agze(same motor but with supercharger )or even a 4age 20valve with tranny and ecu.the above should run you from 700.00 to 1200.00 and they all drop in with little or no modification except for harness routing and fuel pump etc.
btw for info:any toyota motor with "f" in its engine number usually mean economy,regular driving,and those with the "g" means hi performance,hard, hi reving driving. egs. 1zzfe and 2zzge,4afe and 4age,3sfe and 3sge. there is only one exception that i know of which is the 4efte the turbo starlet motor(somebody probably goofed on that one, put an "f" instaed of the "g"
let me know how you are going to go,but dont let nobody,me included make you do something you are not sure about and dont let those guys push a motor on you that wont improve drastically on what you have.

1992 Toyota Celica ST
1992 Toyota Celica ST
thanks bro,
the advice on engine options was good, but im now looking for the cheap way to get my car running. back when I was thinking of the 3sgte I was thinking of keeping the celica as my primary car. I now have a supra, and I just want to get my celica running for as little $$ as possable. I can get a 5afe for $250, if I can get a ecu for cheap and thats all I need (no mods, fuel pumps, etc.) then I can get the car running again for a decent price!!! I know the engines match up ('A' to 'A') but I dint know if there was anything else nessecary to finish the job. I am buying just the motor and dont want to have to keep buying other things to make it work. thanks again for the help