Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#84838 Jan 17, 2:27am
I was wondering is it bad if you change your exhaust to an aftermarket one (tanabe, apex'i, hks, etc) and while in the other hand leave your intake stock?

because I heard ppl say that if you mod your exhaust you should do intake to, so I was just curious.

Thanks smile

4 All U Haterz!
2000 Toyota Celica GT
4 All U Haterz!
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I've heard that too. I would change the intake.

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
bottle neck - no doubt you've heard this term relating to computers...

as for cars, you make it easier for fumes to be released from your car with a high flow exhaust - how about making it easier for your car to suck in air with superior air intake system smile

once you are done with that, the bottle neck no-longer sits at either end - its now sitting in the middle (the engine) spineyes

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

exactly what isaac sasy but no it wo't hurt yoru car it jsut won't make as much pwoer as it would with a intake.

67 mustang fastback
289 v8
soon to have 5 spd

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by Krayze
exactly what isaac sasy but no it wo't hurt yoru car it jsut won't make as much pwoer as it would with a intake.

ditto. it won't hurt it...but you have to add other aftermarket parts (wider piping, basically) to increase its potential.

this is why only an intake might increase your whp by 2 horses and an exhaust alone might give you an extra 4 whp..but put them together and you could realistically get 8 whp (sort of like 'centergy'...2 parts together produce greater gains than if both parts were to work independently). and of course the actual power gains depend upon the specific parts used..some intakes > than other intakes and some exhausts > other exhasuts (2, 3, and 8 were just random figures based on what some parts would achieve) thumbsup

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
The word is "Synergy". If you are thinking of changing a componet on a system you must consider what effect the componet has on the overall system. Example is the exhaust change. It helps, but what about all the changes that can be made? Most of the time total system changes are unrealistic due to expence or other cost ( gas milage ). The same applies to suspension, drive train, etc. When upgrading your car think SYSTEM. If you are just going for looks then don't worry about it, but don't expect big changes. My 2 cents.

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by s355
The word is "Synergy". If you are thinking of changing a componet on a system you must consider what effect the componet has on the overall system. Example is the exhaust change. It helps, but what about all the changes that can be made? Most of the time total system changes are unrealistic due to expence or other cost ( gas milage ). The same applies to suspension, drive train, etc. When upgrading your car think SYSTEM. If you are just going for looks then don't worry about it, but don't expect big changes. My 2 cents.

true, and thanks for the headsup on the 'synergy'--i never get it right.

but you must also remember that everyone has to start somewhere and most everyone cannot afford to do a total intake/exhaust system setup (cai, header, muffler, and exhaust could EASILY run you $2000).

also, many people buy exhausts for style reasons (this isn't a bad reason--if you have a kit and have a big hole for your exhaust, it looks quite funny to see a stock exhaust tip, for example) and sound quality is also another good reason. exhausts in and of itself do not offer much poewr gains--you have to do the 'system' as you mentioned above to get worthwhile power from it (unless you spend $$ retuning your ecu--but usually on serious tuners do this).