Celica Hobby
Posted By: DJ_Curtiz CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 6:24pm
Well I was haveing rough starts and my acceleration was going to shit, with an AEM cai and exhaust, up to date full synthetic oil changes, I could not understand why... So I gave cleaning my MAFS a try and remedy this problem...Here is the shit I used, cost me $2.99 ... I did notice easier starts and my acceleration is somewhat back... I did reset my ECU so I will give it a day to see if I get my acceleration back to normal... Ill be taking her in for her due oil change soon too so that should help... one thing that is bugging me though is that my engine sounds like a damm DIESEL!!!!! WTF angry anyways, here is a pic of the shiet I used grin

Attached picture 1870068829-IM000278 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: Polykarb Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 6:27pm
good job, post any changes soon, im gonna do that soon.
Posted By: silver Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 7:35pm
I couldn't feel any difference when I cleaned mine.
Posted By: hephaestus Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:01pm
I hope you didn't clean your MAF with that stuff. I hope you are talking about the throttle body. That stuff might ruin your MAF. Says right on the can not to get it on the MAF. I use a can of stuff I bought at Radio Shack that cleans like electrical switches called Contact/Control Cleaner/Lubricant.
Posted By: Erick Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:05pm
^^ oo that doesn't sound good frown

yah i have to clean mine now darn check engine light cry it just came on today thumbsdown
Posted By: Lucky_317 Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:38pm
wow, you should use brake kleen. I use that stuff all the time. I'll look for a pic of the can smile
Posted By: silver Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:49pm
Originally Posted by hephaestus
I hope you didn't clean your MAF with that stuff. I hope you are talking about the throttle body. That stuff might ruin your MAF. Says right on the can not to get it on the MAF. I use a can of stuff I bought at Radio Shack that cleans like electrical switches called Contact/Control Cleaner/Lubricant.

Uh-oh.
Posted By: Lucky_317 Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:50pm
[Linked Image from partsamerica.com]
Posted By: Lucky_317 Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:51pm
^^^ I go through many cans of that stuff on my maf and its stll fine so far smile actually since its wednesday I'll be cleaning it tonight again thumbsup
Posted By: DJ_Curtiz Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 8:58pm
Originally Posted by hephaestus

dunno what you taking bout dude but I read the can through and through before I bought it and nowhere did it say not to spray it on the MAFS and I spoke 2 a mech and recommended this stuff... I just took my car back out for another run and Im DEFF about 90% back to normal grin grin grin
thumbsup
Posted By: xXMaGNuSXx Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 9:06pm
^^^ I used a similar carb cleaner. Except I sprayed the stuff on cotton swabs and cleaned it that way.
Posted By: Chaz Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 9:13pm
the instructions that everyone's been using to clean their mafs on this site says to use throttle body cleaner so... wtf
Posted By: DiabloGTS Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 9:17pm
Either one works on the MAF, the brake parts cleaner is worse on them, it's a more powerful solvent.

As for the chatter, buy a bottle of Oil Detergent and run it with your next change. Bye bye chatter!

You might need to run it through for 2 oil changes, mine took 2.

wave
Posted By: hephaestus Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 9:18pm
I'm glad it worked for you. I don't want anything touching my MAF that can get rid of deposist on a throttle body and Intake manifold. It's safe for oxygen sensors and catalytic coverters. Sorry it didn't say MAF on the can, your right there. The MAF is sensitive (especially on our cars) and that's why you are cleaning it probably because something messed it up with just a little grime or oil. I just use something safe, less harsh, and 1 shot I'm 100% that's all. Don't believe what every mech tells you anyway for any problem on your car.
Posted By: CeLlYgT04 Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 9:21pm
Awesome thumbsup
Posted By: Sultan Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 23, 2004 11:15pm
glad your car is feeling better...
Posted By: VoodooGTS Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 24, 2004 12:02am
so is it safe to use carb cleaner or disk kleen on the MAFS?
Posted By: DJ_Curtiz Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 24, 2004 12:35am
no worries there hephaestus, I know you were just being cautious... And yes it is safe, the results r sweet!!! good to have the power back in my baby! thumbsup
Posted By: VoodooGTS Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 24, 2004 1:09am
I just cleaned my MAFS with a MAXTEC Motor Care for RC cars... I totaly can tell the diffrence. I just used a q-tip before, but now i used that motor care stuff and its working like a charm.
Posted By: Virgilson Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 24, 2004 1:12am
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: Erick Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 24, 2004 6:06am
thanks DJ_Curtiz for posting this topic up.. now i know what product to use... just to be sure.. =)... so did you take ur CAI out to get to the MAF ??

the light is bugging me and can't wait to feel the difference once it's clean..
Posted By: DJ_Curtiz Re: CLEANED MY M.A.F.S TODAY - Results ? - Jun 24, 2004 6:12am
Originally Posted by Erick
thanks DJ_Curtiz for posting this topic up.. now i know what product to use... just to be sure.. =)... so did you take ur CAI out to get to the MAF ??

the light is bugging me and can't wait to feel the difference once it's clean..

Well I didnt have to completely remove it out, just remove a few hoses and one bolt and twisted the cai so I could reach the screws on the MAFS grin
© Celica Hobby