Celica Hobby
Posted By: veilside_gt Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 20, 2005 10:18am
Does anyone know what the gas milage would be with a stage1/2 turbo kit? Im curious how bad it would drop since im getting about 40mpg in my GT grin
Posted By: gtscelica05 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 20, 2005 11:25am
depends how much psi you are running
Posted By: veilside_gt Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 20, 2005 7:25pm
around 7 or 8 psi for st1 and i guess 14 for st2
Posted By: combatc87 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 20, 2005 7:54pm
Well, let's see, if you push 7psi, you are adding 50% more air, thus 50% more fuel. Running at 14psi, you're doubling the amount of air and fuel (and doubling engine output as well). Assuming you're at full boost all the time and that your gas mileage is always 30 mpg, you'd have 20 mpg at 7psi and 15 at 14psi. Mind you this is just theoretical, and won't actually reflect your gas mileage. Also, remember this is premium gas.
Posted By: c2gas Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 20, 2005 7:55pm
It depends on how heawy your leg is. If you stay in a bit of vacuum or around 0 then it stays low like w/o turbo, but as you are boosting it will just suck petrol. I would say that the range is just wider with turbo.
I have 11 l/100km to 20 l/100km on my st3 if it helps.
Posted By: sbocaj55 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 20, 2005 9:35pm
^yeah one of the benefits of a turbo is that you're only really using it when you want to. If you stay driving in lower rpm bands...you won't be at full boost. I used to have a turbo eclipse and i could choose what gas mileage i wanted by how aggressive i drove..just like most cars.

But if you want my opinion...if you want to put a turbo in your celica...you shouldn't be worrying about a hit on gas prices. If you really have to worry about that...then i don't think you have enough money to support a turbo engine in my opinion.
Posted By: veilside_gt Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 21, 2005 12:42am
gas can add up tank after tank and it will drain ur pocket just like my old jeep.. 14mpg sucked real bad, thanx a lot for the info
Posted By: Brian63 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 21, 2005 5:33pm
Well some people have to worry about gas after getting a turbo because for me...I would be broke afterwards.
Posted By: combatc87 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 21, 2005 10:02pm
If gas mileage is a big worry, then wait and save up for a boost controller. Then when you are just cruising on the highway or around town and don't need the power, you can turn it down a lot. I'm not sure how low you can turn it down. Anyone know if you can turn it down to like 2psi or even completely bypass the boost altogether?
Posted By: Creep1234 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 22, 2005 7:42am
just ask for a gas card at work instead of a raise and your set!
Posted By: Jamey Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 22, 2005 1:32pm
Originally Posted by veilside_gt
gas can add up tank after tank and it will drain ur pocket just like my old jeep.. 14mpg sucked real bad, thanx a lot for the info

Werd them old jeep are thirty. I only get 6mpg in mine
Posted By: veilside_gt Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 23, 2005 10:13am
ouch i thought mine was bad.. v8 in urs or what?
Posted By: Jamey Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 23, 2005 12:09pm
Originally Posted by veilside_gt
ouch i thought mine was bad.. v8 in urs or what?

Yeah i have a fully built Chevy 400 small block in mine. rofl rofl

but i will let you know what kind of mileage i will be getting with my GTS boosted here shortly. I am planning on installing it 4/20
Posted By: twistedgts6 Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 23, 2005 2:41pm
Originally Posted by combatc87
If gas mileage is a big worry, then wait and save up for a boost controller. Then when you are just cruising on the highway or around town and don't need the power, you can turn it down a lot. I'm not sure how low you can turn it down. Anyone know if you can turn it down to like 2psi or even completely bypass the boost altogether?

A boost controller won't let you lower your boost anything lower than your wastegate is set at. They only allow you to increase boost.

I get about 24MPG at 8PSI on my gts, not too bad.
Posted By: spaztikid Re: Gas milage with turbo? - Mar 23, 2005 3:10pm
just depends if you're hitting boost...

stay in vacuum and its like stock... hit boost and you use more gas.
© Celica Hobby