Originally Posted by Stellar7
Hey guys, how do I remove the carpet? I have an 05 Celica GT that was owned by a chain smoker. I tried wet vacuuming the carpet and 5 gallons of sludge + odor bomb later, nothing has improved. I think the padding underneath must have been soaked with tar and perhaps even lots of soda.

Also, any recommendations on a good washing solution for the carpet?

Lastly, any recommendations on sound deadening compound that could be applied?

Thanks
This is a pretty old thread, but some cool stuff going on back in the day. These cars are so loud at speed... Anyway, to remove your carpet you are going to bee to take out the front seats first. They are held in by 14mm bolts iirc, and after you have removed all 4 bolts you need to lean the seat back and undo the connectors that are on the bottom. Sometimes if they are really old and frozen you may need some pliers to squeeze them hard enough. Now the center console needs to come out. You'll pop out the switches and shifter surround and disconnect all connectors first. Then find all of your screws/bolts. It's pretty self-explanatory once you start doing it. Then you'll need to pop up the bottom section of the rear seats. Just grab and yank the front of it and you'll see how it works. You need to take out the dead pedal, the side sills, kick panels, and iirc the quarter trim. It's all pretty standard stuff. These cars are easy to work on, if it's covering the carpet, then you have to take it out. The quarter trim is by far the hardest part. To really remove it requires ripping out most of the trunk as well so you can try and get it out by just pulling out the section you need. Good luck! smile