Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

This is the third time in it's life that this car has ran low on oil

It has 101k miles on it. We got it at 55k miles 3 years ago.

It started burning oil a fair bit in the past year.

The first time it got low it started making a rattle like a diesel that sounded rather scary. She drove it 20 miles like that before getting an oil change.

The next time it did that a couple months back and she drove it maybe up to 50 miles before getting a change.

This last time, she didn't tell me it was low, and drove what may have been 500 miles. She said it started sometime last week and she puts on 500 miles a week driving 50 miles each way for college. It's near finals time so she's got a lot on her mind.

I got it topped best I could yesterday and she says it sounds fine now.

I am scared about what kind of long term damage may have been done to this poor car.

This last time it was somewhere over a quart low. I ran out of oil after maybe 1 1/8 of a quart of oil, and the oil only reached the lower bump on the dipstick but sounds okay for the moment. Had to let her drive it 100 miles today while I get oil.

So, what do I need to watch for now, what kind of damage may have been done? I told her I'm having doubts of that car making it to 300k miles now. Is that a fair assement considering what it's been through?

Hey, welcome!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. However, it's not uncommon in the GT or really most any car with a 1ZZFE engine, and many other Celica owners know of this issue all too well.

A video of how the car is running at the moment would be helpful but it is likely that some damage has been done. The big question is when will the detrimental damage show up. The car probably won't make it to 300k miles at this rate, but you can prolong it's life by being watchful of that oil level.

Either way, I would just keep frequently adding/changing the oil and drive it until it won't drive anymore. Hope this helps.

-Connor

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)

Is oil dripping from engine on parking spots? It could be worn/hardened seals at the front or rear of engine.

Oil may have turned into sludge in the 1ZZ engine.

Buy Motor Medic's GUNK engine cleaner (WALMART $6), put half a quart in engine, idle 10 minutes then replace the oil. Do it for a couple oil changes. A clean engine runs smoother and more efficient.

Last edited by CAPTAINSOLO; Apr 30, 2019 3:00pm.

You could make it to 300K, I'm at 238K and have had substantial oil consumption since 95K.

Only real fix is to replace piston rings or engine altogether.

Otherwise, keep close eye on level, try not to let run dry too often.

Still do oil changes so that the residual oil does not produce sludge.