Thread Like Summary
CaffeineKid
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by JCraven94
JCraven94
Hello all, I'm posting here hoping to find some Celica and Toyota specific knowledge. The vehicle in question is actually my girlfriend's, a 2002 Celica GT. She has her inspection coming up and the car is throwing some trouble codes. P0171, P0440, P0441, and P0446 are all the codes I'm getting. I've cleared and re scanned the car at least 3 times and the codes are consistent. I really don't have a large knowledge or familiarity on these cars because I've never owned one. All i know is that it's a 1.8l, it has 258,xxx miles, smokes a bit and leaks a bit of oil, but otherwise is a good running car. It came with an aftermarket intake and a straight pipe after the cat. Now I know off hand there's some sort of evap or vacuum line disconnected by the intake, and when I noticed and tried to hook it up it made the car want to barley run, so I left it as is. I'll try to get some pictures. Just wondering if off those sets of codes anyone would be able to point me in the right direction. Looking into the codes only gave vague results all essentially saying the same thing in different ways. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Liked Replies
by CAPTAINSOLO
CAPTAINSOLO
The P171 System lean bank 1 means too much air, not enough fuel, usually caused by a dirty or bad Mass Airflow Sensor, the trapezoidal part on the big air intake hose right behind the air filter box, held down by 2 small philip screws.

Swap in a known good MAF sensor from another Toyota or Lexus to see if that fix the problem. All Toyotas and Lexus use the same MAF made by Denso. If that solves your problem then replace with a new MAF, or clean the old one with non-residue contact cleaner spray sold in Walmart.

if that did not fix the problem then there may be air leaks on air hoses or vacuum lines around the throttle body or the airbox. If one of those little black rubber hoses are not hooked up tight or cracked, it will pull the P171 code.

The 400s codes have to do with the evaporative system, recirculating gas vapor from the charcoal canister on top of the gas tank to the throttle body for burning. After 150K miles, the canister is likely broken, not holding gas vapor and needs to be replaced.

At 250K miles, my GTS had those codes. I bought an used canister on eBay for $100. It came with a solenoid, switch and hoses. One hour labor $80 to install and those codes were fixed. The car would have to be on a lift for access to the gas tank. It's not convenient or safe to get under the car on jack stands.
1 member likes this
Member Spotlight
oOoLINoOo
oOoLINoOo
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Bay Area, CA

Show All Member Profiles 
Recent Topics
2zz pcv valve
by D4ngerousbry - Apr 23, 2024 11:55am
Carcept front lip in 2024
by IM__ACE - Apr 21, 2024 9:05pm
Blitz / trial supercharger 2zz
by CheUK87 - Apr 19, 2024 4:09pm
Need Trd aid supercharger hood
by BlitzzKong - Apr 17, 2024 11:43am
Urgent
by SoloXKay - Mar 19, 2024 11:58am
00-05 Celica Part out
by TM0202 - Nov 16, 2023 5:48pm
Where to buy replacement dash?
by NeonCelica - May 27, 2023 11:38pm
Customize Your Toyota Celica Privacy Policy · About · Contact
Privacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2024