Rate Thread

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Power Antenna Installation
By Victor 'vnomura' GTS 6 Speed
November 14, 2000

How to replace the stock antenna with a power antenna (Celica models 2000+)

Hi All,

The local auto parts store had the power antenna on sale this week ($58 Canadian).I got it from Canadian Tire. Looks just like the factory Toyota power antennas. Toyota wanted $250 for their power antenna (installed). This was just $58 Canadian. It took me two days to install the antenna. It was more trouble than I thought but worth it. I had trouble beacuse I didn't have instructions. You have them now so it should be easily done. Takes about 2-3 hours if you know what you're doing.

Connected 3 wires

1. ground
2. +12 power and fuse (always on wire, blue and yellow wire on big connector on amplifier)
3. +12 radio/stereo on (red wire with 2 grey bands on the smaller connector on amplifier)
All of the wires noted here are connected to the GTS amplifier behind the glovebox.

Removed the following

1. Old antenna mast
2. antenna mounts inside trunk

Resused the old antenna base.

Ran wires down the passenger side door area to the area behind the glove box. Connected 2 wires to the amplifier wiring harness.

Looks and works just like my '97 Celica antenna now.

Thanks to everyone who helped me by posting the wiring harness color code.

Source...
http://www.celica-garage.cityslide.com/articles/article.cfm/522/153

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I Installed a Universal Power Antenna...(AW-PW22)...cost $40 USD from Advance Auto Supply...I did not require the Extension Kit (AW-PWEC157)...

I used the existing RF Antenna cable so I didn't have to purchase another or bother running a new cable...just plugged the existing cable into it with the cable from the Power Antenna...I used speaker wire for the extension needed to reach the radio, two wire splices, and two female blade connectors...

For wire splicing to power the antenna...I found the wires to be the Blue wire with Yellow stripe and the Gray wire next to it (I think it may have had Silver Bands)...both in the larger connector on the back of the radio...Pin Numbers A1 and A2...I have the standard Stereo...No Amp...

The only trouble I had...thanks to the posted photos...was figuring out which adapter seat to use on the antenna to seal against the car body propely...I used the bendable perforated strip with the kit and mounted to whichever hole properly aligned with an existing hole in the trunk interior...I used a screw post from the tail light assembly for ground...

After installation of the power antenna and it was properly held in place by the mast nut and the bracket...I secured the unit to the frame with three plastic Zip Strips (wire ties)to prevent spinning of the unit between the one bracket bolt on the bottom and the mast mount...

Everything works...

Bread Fishing..
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Bread Fishing..
2001 Toyota Celica GT
I mounted mine in at an angle spineyes in order to sort of mimic the stock look of the old one that was in place
1953494052-ant-side.jpg

LNK
"you only need something when you know it exists..then it becomes a want"

Bread Fishing..
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Bread Fishing..
2001 Toyota Celica GT
1953494053-ant-angled.jpg

LNK
"you only need something when you know it exists..then it becomes a want"

As per the pic is what I've tried. It seemed logical to keep the relay box that existed as that had only 2 wires out which matched the old and new aerial 2 wire system. I thought it might has some electrical safety benefit.

Any clues on this?

car.png

I've cut the wires and removed the box from the circuit. I hope the hell that is the right thing to do. Seems I haven't worked out the matching connections yet.

Here's some clues for the next person that does this job. [For Celica ST104]

1. Removing the internal lining — there are 2 screws on the back car seat side of the panel.

2. If you polish around the hole with some beading car polish then you can over do it with black sealant and the excess will clean off easily with a rag.

3. There's a drain pipe at the bottom of the aerial case. In my case the replacement was just a little bigger than the original and I needed a larger bit of tube. Put the tube on before you put the aerial in as doing it in place is a PITA.

4. If you can hear the motor working then you only need to replace the aerial itself and the plastic gear strip at the bottom that drives it. You likely still need to pull it apart to remove broken bits of the plastic gear length. Don't remove the motor cover as it is near impossible to put the brushes in place and slide the armature back in place. Only take off the cover of the gear housing.

In this case, the aerial motor will garb the plastic gear chain when it is in descend mode. There are videos for that on youtube.

5. Repco charge $65 for a replacement motorised aerial. You can get exactly the same aerial on ebay for $25. (Australia)

6. The wiring for the aerial is as per the photo. Use the plug from the existing aerial

Hope this helps.

Yani

aerial2.png