Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
About a month ago, I changed the color of my AC lights. Then, one of the bulbs burned out. Toyota doesn't sell the bulb, wanted $60 for the board, I could take out the bulbs and chuck the board. yeah, right.

So, I attempted to fix it by finding replacement bulbs from another source, they didn't fit, they got stuck in the board, I removed them with a pair of pilars but then I broke the board up at the top where 3 traces are.

Does anyone here know how I can fix this problem? I've got no problem buying a new board for $60, but I have NO idea how to install it. Looks like the board is connected to the system via this 8 or 9 pin white band of wires that is soldered to the board. I have no way to solder the new one in place.

I tried to repair the board, but it's broken good, and its not fixable.

Please help, I've got no A/C, no lights frown

To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
and sung with exultation
To know even one life has breathed easier
This is to have succeeded.

Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
BTW

Toyota wants 3 hours Diagnostic time ($80 per hour) plus 4 hours shop time ($90 an hour) plus $60 for the board plus $30 for parts.

I would have them do it, but thats WAY too much money.

and sung with exultation

Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I broke my board once too and I was pissed at myself. So I took everything and put it back in. I went to toyota and said that my a/c controls were out and they fixed it under warranty. If you don't have a warranty I say get the new board and have someone else fix it for cheaper. Toyota is gonna screw you on the labor time. Good luck thumbsup

[Linked Image]
In case you didn't notice its good to be a Florida Gator. Noles Suck.

Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
BTW what kind of paint did you use to change the color of your lights for the a/c?

[Linked Image]
In case you didn't notice its good to be a Florida Gator. Noles Suck.

Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
I have the extended warranty and they REFUSE to cover it. F*ckers.

I used window glass stain. It worked great, then the bulb burned out.

Can the board be replaced without soldering?

and sung with exultation

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
What I did was remove that green cover off of the blubs and them I placed a piece of the colored-filter material they use for lighting. You can find this material at any hobbie or art & crafts store ... also actual camera stores should carry it as well.

I believe in the called Acetate ... it's film that comes in different colors.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Rice: How did you shape the plastic in to the right shape to fit over the bulb? Would you mind pulling one out to take a picture?
Thanks.

MAKE YOUR TIME

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
what replacement bulbs did you buy?

Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
I'd still like someone to help me find a way to replace the busted ass board frown

and sung with exultation

ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT
I don't think your going to get any help there. This is turning into another "how to color your ac controls" post. thumbsdown

Go to the junk yard get a bulb connector socket cut it off so you have the wire leads. Get a connector socket such as the ones for the side marker and cluster signals bulbs. Polarg 194/168 (M4) Hyper White Wedge (pair) those are in the EC.com store they don't cost to much. These tend to last just as long as your dome light bulbs. You can also get anything that would be compatible to fit the area where you need lighting for so you can easily fit it in the area without cutting, drilling, dremeling out. The most you may have to do is dremel out an area if your bulb connector is extremely huge. I'd reccomend you buy something that has inexpensive bulbs that any auto supply store would carry.
Find a good socket size so you can tap into the area's that needs lighting.

You don't need a new board for the most part just make sure it is funcational if the lighting is the problem here's what you do.

1. Use this new bulb connector socket. With Pos.(red) & Neg.(black) connections so you don't accidently pop the bulbs when wiring them up.
2. Get a long wire to run through the fire wall.
3. With the wires now inside the cabin run them behind your damaged board.
4. Find an area where you can place the bulbs in the board and mounted where it lights up the most you can use mulitple connector sockets to tap areas that need more lighting.
5. The cig. ring lighter, a.c. & defroster buttom take apart find a place to luminate area you may have to run another bulb or a simple soldered l.e.d. connection their as well radioshack sells some l.e.d's already soldered for you with the pos./neg. wire lead look around trust me you'll find something even a computer l.e.d.'s have wires as well. You can check their too just for more sources.

6. Last you want it to dimm with the rest of the lighting so having it connected to your low beams you will be able to control it from the dimmer area unless you want an external dimmer. Unless you plan on a steady power feed you can tap it into your factory dimmer as well. If your not to good with electrical just stick with the low beams for now.

This should help you get sort of the idea hope you can work with it. For #5 If you can't light up these areas and you find it a struggle but you have fix the power to light up some of it more power to you and I would call it a job well done. But if you do have patience and light up the rest of it without the board then I call it an EXCELLENT JOB WELL DONE! Good luck.

Last edited by GOLDCELICA; Jul 25, 2003 2:37pm.

Originate, Innovate, Never Imitate. Since 2000-04.

One one more thing the A/C control unit board should be sold by Toyota as a whole unit. The unit only has 2 connector plugs in the back one is light blue the other is white or they both may be white can't remember right now. But I know their is two connectors that power up the unit.

You may be seeing the unit from the top view I have to ask you first when you say "looks like the board is connected to the system via this 8 or 9 pin white band of wires that is soldered to the board." When you ask this question have you already taken apart the whole unit or just the circuit board?

The connector does have a band of wires that's white in color you can see this from the top view but it also has a removable connector at the end that it's inserted to the back of the unit for easy installation just like the speedometer cluster one of Toyota's easy access wiring techniques. All you do is plug the two connectors into the back of the A/C unit. Ask the dealer if the $60.00 is the whole unit I think it should be the amount of the whole unit with board. It's just plain rediculous that Toyota would sell that circuit board separately not very practical. I'll try to post up some pics of what it looks like later I've done it quite some times when I took apart the whole dash and messed around with it here and their it's a very simple process.

Last edited by GOLDCELICA; Jul 25, 2003 2:52pm.

Originate, Innovate, Never Imitate. Since 2000-04.

i broke my board too. i went to take off the bulb covers on my lunch break. i put everything back in place after removing the covers but now the only light that works is the rr defrost. no ac, climate control, nothing. what can i do???