Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Hi,

I'm planning on getting some audio stuff put into the celica. I don't know too much about it, so I'd rather have a reputable sound shop do it, rather than trying myself.

I do have a lot of questions after talking with a few of them:

About the only gripe I have with the celica is how loud it is. Since I got
it dropped, and put on low profile tires, the sound has been driving me mad,
and playing the radio over it has been giving me headaches.

The first shop I've talked to recomend dynamat in the doors.

They're quoting me 150 in materials and 50 for labor to do both doors. Is that a fair price?

For those who've filled their doors with this stuff, how much quieter does it get?

The second shop is also recomending doing the floors. I havent heard of putting sound dampening there before.

Will putting a layer of dynamat under the carpet help a lot?

Is most of that tire/road noise coming in through the doors, or floor?

Between the carpet and floormats and the frame of the car, I would of thought the floor is already pretty well insulated.

The panels they're recomending for under the floor are expensive and they look really heavy. I believe they're Dynamat Extremeliner. They want 200 in materials and 100 in labor to do the floors of the car.

Again, is that a fair price? To me it looks overpriced and unnecessary.

I'll be listening to a bunch more before I make up my mind, but generally, what are your opinions on Alpine type S componants and Coax's for the back? They seem reasonably priced and sounded really good to me.

Last question, is there any particularly good reason to get 2 smaller amps; one for the fronts, and one for the rears, vs a larger 4 channel one to run everything?

Last edited by jeiger; Feb 16, 2005 10:47pm.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
i dunno about hte dynomat all I know is that my car body rattles like a mofo and I need some wink but here get 1 good amp for your components i mean how much power do they need. And if you ened a brand I went with rockford fosgate power series and it has treated me well.

intoxicated
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
intoxicated
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
like i always say, go to a roofing store, or a good hardware store and ask for peal and seal. this stuff is used under metal rooves to deadend sound from rain and stuff. its just as good as dynamat but hella cheaper. real cheap, like do your whole car for 50 bucks. its just like extreme dynamat. real car audio is measured in db. doubling or halving your cone space on subs or doubling or halving effective amp wattage, whether its to divide the resistance or double the current, will adjust sound by 3 decibels. This is exactly what a whole car done in dynamat or deadening material will do. add 3 db of sound to whats already there. actually its subtracting 3 db of road noise. this will make that appear twice as loud. or twice as quiet in your case. im tired as hell and about asleep so this is probably confusing, if im wrong or off in anyway please someone cover my ass and correct me. thanks

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
I had my whole car done in dynomat. I think i spent a good 900 bucks doing it. But it was well worth every penny. The car doesnt rattle with the base and the road noise is a lot less.

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Where else did they put it besides floor and doors?

Would you say you halved the road noise at least?

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by jeiger
Where else did they put it besides floor and doors?

Would you say you halved the road noise at least?

they did all my doors, the floor, the headliners, the whole trunk, the wing, the plates on the front and back of the car. I mean that stuff is EVERYWHERE. The road noise went down atleast half.

Where are you in VA? where ya gettin your stuff done??

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
I'm in northern virginia, a bit west of Dulles. I've been talking to Sound Solutions in Chantilly and New Sound in Manassas.

I'm leaning towards the place in Chantilly as they're 5 minutes away from my place.

I'm just trying to figure out how crazy to go with the sound dampening and what componants to go with.

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by jeiger
I'm in northern virginia, a bit west of Dulles. I've been talking to Sound Solutions in Chantilly and New Sound in Manassas.

I'm leaning towards the place in Chantilly as they're 5 minutes away from my place.

I'm just trying to figure out how crazy to go with the sound dampening and what componants to go with.

Go over to Tweeter in Fairfax and talk to Frank. Hes the guy that helped me set up my system. He is a great guy and he wont BS you.