Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

If you dont feel like reading the back story the simple question is

* i have $8000 im willing to put into upgrading performance...would it be worth it? Or just buy a faster car*

I just bought a gt standard with the exact same body kit (veilside) as my good celica. So now that i have twin cars. and enough spare parts to build a third. I want to mod one to be fast but still reliable.

Both cars are from 2000.
One is a gt 5 speed manual with 280,000km but a newer engine (1zz )cars beat up and 4th gear pops out but it drives perfect other than that.

The other is my baby. A gts 6 speed manual with 150,000kms. Bought from new. Babied. Not a spec of rust or even a blemish in the stock clear coat. literally looks like i just rolled it off the dealership except the veilside kit. Car is bone stock. Never replaced anything but brake pads and bulbs.

I know you guys get this alot. Im not looking for some in depth breakdown. Just a quick opinion. Ill figure the rest out on my own or find a mechanic. But you guys know these cars and some of you have done massive mods.

Im leaning towards modding my gts. It seems like it will hold its value better. But maybe the gt versions are easier to mod. Dunno. talk me out of it lol

Im really not sure were to start. Should i just go for broke and send the engine out first. Then work on suspensions, dynoing, and tuning later.

Im willing to put $8000 or so into performance upgrades over this summer.

Will it even be worth it? Or should i just buy a faster car and enjoy my celica as is...

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
If you're planning to have the GTS hold its value, I suggest not modding it further than the Veilside body kit. Otherwise, here's a performance guideline thread: https://celicahobby.com/forums/ubbt...-performance-what-should-i-do-first.html

From what I've seen, a lot of people will straight up say swap the 1ZZ-FE with a 2ZZ-GE. I think that it's a good option, but only if your 1ZZ is going to blow soon—the motor will just be wasted doing nothing. I guess you could also recuperate your money by selling the motor.

For my Celica GT, I'm upgrading the suspension and handling first (coilovers, strut bars, wheels & brakes, etc.). After I get that situated, I plan to turbo the car just to get a feel for boosted life. Once I blow my 1ZZ, I plan to swap with a 2ZZ and track the car NA.

EDIT: Modding your GTS is surefire way to depreciate its value, as people don't really like to buy molested cars.
It's going to be expensive to modify the GT as there is not much aftermarket support. I think it may be best to get a Honda because they have a lot of aftermarket support and can make lots of power on a small budget.

Last edited by plebsaur; Apr 7, 2018 12:17pm.