Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#452168 Jun 6, 10:32am
to keep this story short, I bought a 2k celica gts a month ago and parked it in the garage and started working on it, lift didn't function, brakes were crap serp belt junk ect....

things I did that were engine related, replaced broken lift bolt(s), cleaned throttle body plus new gasket, replaced iacv with gasket, cleaned lift ocv screen and new gasket, new oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, plugs... basics and what would be expected by the year and mileage of vehicle.

to the main part of this thread, after i did all the work was time for the test drive, let it warm up went for a drive every thing worked great lift kicked in at 6k and went clear to 8k with no issues felt strong and pulled hard the whole way through the upper band.

after a few days I had hit lift a few times and then every thing stopped working one afternoon, I went to the store, hit lift on my way still making sure every thing worked, shut car off for 5 minuets while I grabbed a few things, left the store few minuets later went to hit lift and wouldn't let me go past 5500 rpm and it would be very rough at that point, it basicly felt like some one was learning to drive a manual with a stage 3 racing clutch.

I have tried to diagnose the issue, theres no CEL on, it runs okay up till that point. I have replaced the iacv with another new one and my test drive still did the same thing. I am aware of a bad O2 sensor that has intermittent readings due to chewed wiring but it was functioning just fine up to that point and still no CEL.

the only thing I have not done YET is clean the VVT ocv, but it make no sense for it to function for a few days then stop.

kind of at a loss here any help would be appreciated.

Pulled lift bolts, looked good had a little wear, lift ocv screen was cleas as could be, i lost the vvt ocv screen behind the ac compressor and i had no idea what it looked like. The vvt solenoid looks to functioning as far as i can see. No dirt or debris in the channels and it moved easily.

Any ideas?