Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

1993 Toyota Celica GT
1993 Toyota Celica GT
Hey guys, figured I'd write this up to be more active here. Just detailing what I experienced over the last hour.

I've owned my 1993 celi for about 2 weeks. I can't drive it yet as I have yet to get my license and learn manual fully, so I like to go sit in the car every now and then and keep familiarizing myself with the car, or look at what panels I might be able to wrap or things to modify.

As the title says, I forgot to close the moon roof. I went in to remove my shift boot panel and was met with a very moist seat, followed by me realizing that I could still hear the outside wind and me looking up. I had a very passionate cursing session after that.

I had thought it wasn't so bad, as the seats and floor carpet were just really damp... until I checked behind the front seats, and was met with what was probably 2-3 inches of standing water pooled right in front of the rear seats, as my car was on an incline.

I panicked really hard, and honestly I'm still nervous about it and hope it doesn't leave any lasting damage, but I managed to soak up the puddle with like 12 towels, and I'm going to go get a wet-dry shop vac tomorrow along with some dehumidifying packets to riddle along the interior.

Also, no moldy smell has set in quite yet (despite it having been 3, maybe more days) and I find I'm really digging the rainwater scent. Might see if I can get myself a rain scented freshener wink

If you stay on top of it, you should be able to fix it all up. When I had water come in through the moon roof of a past car, I found some scented product by Arm & Hammer that you sprinkle on and vacuum up. Worked great.

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)

1993 Toyota Celica GT
1993 Toyota Celica GT
Yeah I shop vacced all the water that I could, and I now currently have 3 dessicant packets hanging in the car with a box fan blowing overnight for airflow. Not worried anymore, even if mold does grow I can just take out the carpet and fully wash it with shampoo

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
As someone who has worked on flood cars. I highly recommend you removing and washing the carpet as well as replacing the jute which is underneath. I see you are in Washington so the heat and humidity woh't fast act. Good luck