Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi All,

I need to remove and replace the transmission linkage cable on a 1994 Toyota Celica 5 sp. manual transmission to get it up and running. This is the cable that connects the gear shift to the transmission. There is a bracket within about 8" of the transmission connection, and a vertical C clamp holds it in place. This C clamp probably hasn't been removed since it was originally installed, and it is in there tightly and I have to reach and can't get good leverage on it.

Are there any secrets? Is there anything I put on it to loosen it up? Is there a special tool or technique? Any help would be appreciated.
Also, we will be pulling the part off a junk yard vehicle, and the vehicle looks to have some quarter panels that are nicer than the ones currently on the vehicle. I'd like to replace them. Does anyone have a link to some instructions or other information that could let me know if this is a doable project for someone with minimal experience in this kind of thing?

Thanks.

I removed the C clamps by using locking pliers on the front-back linkage cable C clamp with a screw driver handle underneath it to create a lever. Once my body weight was pushing down on the lever, it came out pretty easily. Just make sure that the screw diver handle is pretty close to the clip to get the best leverage.

The left-right linkage cable's C clamp was angled in such a way I couldn't use the locking pliers due to interference from other parts. I replaced the locking pliers with another screw driver and set up a similar lever configuration. This took some time to work out. I kept working different sections of the C clamp, and eventually one side moved a little. I worked on the other side without much luck, and the screw driver was really flexing. I turned the screw driver so that the blade was vertical to reduce the flex of the driver, and it popped off pretty quickly thereafter.

One other note - the night before I sprayed the C clamps with a chemical designed to loosen metallic connections (I don't know the name, but it is supposed to be a step up from WD-40). I'm not sure how much that helped.

Hi All,

I'm replacing a broken transmission control cable in a 6th gen 1994 Celica. There is a 6th gen 1999 Celica with transmission linkage cable P/N that is identical, except for the last digit, and this new P/N is listed as replacing the old P/N.

Cable Assy, Transmission Control
33820-2B320 (used in 1994 Celica, discontinued in 12/1997)
Part Name Code: 33820B
Replaced by: 33820-2B321 (used in the 1999 Celica)

Can I use the 33820-2B321 from the 1999 Celica on my 1994 Celica (that had the 33820-2B320 P/N removed from it)?

If you don't know, can you suggest a way in which I most efficiently find this out?

TIA...

Hi All,

I'm replacing a broken transmission control cable in a 6th gen 1994 Celica. There is a 6th gen 1999 Celica with transmission control cable P/N that is identical, except for the last digit, and this new P/N is listed as replacing the old P/N.

Cable Assy, Transmission Control
33820-2B320 (used in 1994 Celica, discontinued in 12/1997)
Part Name Code: 33820B
Replaced by: 33820-2B321 (used in the 1999 Celica)

Can I use the 33820-2B321 from the 1999 Celica on my 1994 Celica (that had the 33820-2B320 P/N removed from it)?

If you don't know, can you suggest a way in which I most efficiently find this out?

TIA...

The ...321 version of the cable is installed in the 1994 Celica and working just fine. It was taken off of a 1999 Celica. The recycled part was also damaged within about 6" of the portion that is C-clamps (opposite side of transmission connections), but not nearly as bad as the 1994 Celica's original transmission control cable. There is an inner metal cable (that does the moving inside the rest of the cable), a laminated inner plasticish sheathing, twisting wires, and an outer plasticish sheathing. There is also an additional rubber section, about 6" long, that is wrapped and secured to the cable for added protection. The 1994's cable had lost the added protection section, and the cable was far enough back and sufficiently enough that the cable would bend at the damaged location and not move the transmission connection to the proper gear.
The new one was damaged, but most less so, and much closer to the C-clamp connection location (less room to bend; more likely to move transmission connection). We electrical taped each of the broken twisting wires, then we electrical taped around the whole cable. We then put a layer of duct tape around the damaged cable section to provide extra support and resilience.
The vehicle is shifting nicely now.
The cable costed less than $10 out the door of the junk yard. Brand new is about $350, and used on Ebay is about $250.

Last edited by 1994TC; May 3, 2020 10:02pm.

One note -- be careful of the vehicle speed sensor on these 6th gen Celicas when doing this work. It is tucked in right behind the C-clamps, and when they are removed and installed, it is right in the way. I didn't see it during removal and install, and it became disconnected during install. I cleaned out the connectors with electrical cleaner, let it dry, reinstalled it, and it still isn't working.
I will let it dry overnight and hope for the best in the morning.
Otherwise, I will have figure out how to inspect the cable to see if it is damaged (which is quite possible).

I'm hoping I can get underneath the vehicle and pull it down so I can work with it much easier than bending over deep into the engine bay.