2000 GTS 2zz. Just got the head off. There was no compression in cylinders 2 and 4... And now I know why. Piston melted a bit and some of the cylinder wall blew off in #2, valve destroyed in#4. Looks like I'll need a new block.

Background: last year I replaced a bunch of gaskets, thermostat, water pump, temp sensor, timing chain/tensioner/guides, and did a valve adjustment. I didn't touch the head gasket or pistons. Anyway, it drove fine, no issues, drive it around, occasionally opening it up on an empty road. One night, on a particularly empty road, I decide to go a little heavy on the gas, and it engaged lift with no issue. But while maintaining lift, it decides to just stop responding to the gas pedal. I look down onto the dash, and it's just decelerating, and I see the temperature gauge maxed out and flashing... I coast to a stop, and smoke is coming out from under the hood. Little puddle of radiator fluid starts accumulating under my car. I assume the head gasket blew.

A few days later I do a compression test to get nothing in cylinders 2 and 4. Fast forward to dismantling and finding the cause. Some gasket sealant made it's way into the radiator fluid, partially blocking the thermostat. I finally got the Head of today, and now you're caught up.

I just figured I'd share. I'm gonna start looking around for a replacement engine.

submitted by /u/NeverBeAGangsta
[link] [comments]

Source: r/Celica