I'm mocking up future parts, specs, and costs for a turnkey 1972 Celica that I can enjoy for spirited drives and autocross in my city. Originally, I thought of supercharging it, which I may pursue later in life or with more funds. I would want it to be carbureted still, which from what I've seen is a headache to dial in.

My current thinking is to go with an 18RG, cam, 45 webers, unequal length headers (for subi-style "muscle car" sound), and exhaust. For transmission, I think a 6-speed close ratio with 5th and 6th being extra overdrive and a short LSD in the 4.3+ range. Ideally, I would swap out 1 gear from 2nd-4th with a straight cut, so I can have some optional whine sound, but if I don't then no biggie. I thought of going with an aluminum block for the 18RG, but it either doesn't exist or my research skills are inadequate.

Goals for the car are 0-60 ideally at 4.5, however, I would be content with 5.x-6.5 seconds. I'm more interested in the perception of speed and fun than set and defined specs on paper. I don't have much use for a high top speed, so if I can get 100-120 mph with 20-25 mph while cruising at 60-80, then I'll be a happy camper.

The budget for the build is $40k if I can get to a 4.5-second 0-60, otherwise, I'll put in $30k with the rest going into a higher-performing car platform. I'm in an automotive technician training program the end of Fall 2025, so I will have a decent level of mechanical know-how. We focus more on entry-level technician skills though, so my skillset won't be as tailored toward modifications and customization as would be ideal.