Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Ok. I put on my tanabe super race medallion. It sounds beautiful. But, I had just got done play racing another celica ...I only revved up to about 6000rpms..we weren't really racing...just playing around. Then I stoped at a stop light and smelled something that smelled like it was burning plastic/oil/funky. I pulled over to a gas station and went to check my exhaust since this is the first time I've smelled that. When I bent down I smelled the same "burning" smell coming out of my exhaust. Is this normal with a brand new exhaust? Or should I start worrying that something is fucked up??? Please help you guys...I'm really getting worried. I love this exhaust and hate to think I've fucked something up b/c of it.

04 Toyota Spyder - TRD Sportivo, B&M SS, TRD Front and Rear Strut Braces, Volk TE37's, Garrett GT28RS Turbo 10psi, TiAl wastegate, HKS SS BOV, Air/Water IC

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
so you like the exhaust?
i don't have an aftermarket exhaust, but i would assume the smell is natural. i remember revving my engine to 6000 a few times once my car was broken in...the same smell occured. now it doesn't happen. i don't think you should worry about it (again, i may be wrong) wink

I love the sound of the exhaust. Maybe it's in my head, but I feel like there actually is a slight power gain.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if it is normal??

04 Toyota Spyder - TRD Sportivo, B&M SS, TRD Front and Rear Strut Braces, Volk TE37's, Garrett GT28RS Turbo 10psi, TiAl wastegate, HKS SS BOV, Air/Water IC

Just RELAX. Your car and the new exhaust are doing fine. This is completely normal for a new exhaust. It will dissapear in some days.

So, get out, hit the streets and enjoy your new exhaust! thumbsup

I wish I could, but Im still stuck stock thumbsdown

are you positive this smell is normal?? what the hell does it come from? it really smells like i just blew my engine...which I know is not true b/c my engine is running beautifully...but it smells like I just dumped a pan of oil and plastic into a fire..

what the hell does the smell come from? sorry..I'm just worried..that's all...

Don't worry, this is completely normal. My friend just put on his Greddy on his Prelude, and his car stank for two weeks. HAHA Its just the gaskets and stuff in your muffler melting a little bit, and getting worn in. All of your new muffler parts have never experienced the temperatures they are experiencing now, so they are all melting/adjust a little. It is completely normal and designed to do so. All of my 4 friends that have put in aftermarket exhausts all have that stink. GO ENJOY YOUR EXHAUST!!!

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Dont worry I have a tanabe super racing medallion and that is perfectly normal.

that smell is caused by the heating of the fibers that are in the baffle. It should go away in a day or so. go take a drive on the freeway for a 1/2 hour and see if that helps.

Do you know why this is the best celica forum? Becuase of people like all of you. Celica owners like myself can come here and ask stupid questions and never get flamed.

This has really worried me all night long. But, thanks to you guys, I feel much safer...and none of you have laughed at me or told me how stupid my question was.

Thank you all of you who contribute to this forum and help us when we have questions.

By the way...I absolutely LOVE the sound from my super racing medallion. I'll upload pics of my install tommorrow when I get some time. Now I feel safe again.

Again, thank you so very much.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
you know what i miss that smell you were questioning because that smell means its new. frown

[ 01-10-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Steven ]

maybe we're talking about 2 different smells. this smell seriously smelled like plastic and oil burning on fire at the same time. It was nasty smelling. I was seriously concerned...

And now that i think we might be talking about 2 different smells...I'm all worried again.. confused confused confused

Thanks steven...leave it to you to fuck up my night again just when I was feeling better... frown frown frown

steven..by the way..I'm not really mad or anything...just thought it'd sound cool if i acted like I was..

but i really am a little worried now ..you sure we're talking about the same smell??? I don't see how anyone could miss that shit...

Originally posted by SilverIce:
steven..by the way..I'm not really mad or anything...just thought it'd sound cool if i acted like I was..

but i really am a little worried now ..you sure we're talking about the same smell??? I don't see how anyone could miss that shit...
SilverIce. Please read my reply to this topic again. And stop worrying.

I think that you misundestood Stevens reply. What he ment was, is that he misses the smell of new exhaust. wink

http://www.ecelica.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000007

Read that link Isaac wrote up an excellent discription of what is going on. I got the same thing. It happens to everyone sooner or later. When it happened to me I thought my car was messed up too since it got worse when the windows are open but remember an exhaust leak wouldn't smell that bad and it shouldn't be climbing through the windows it's just the chemicals and gasket getting broken in since you have a new exhaust. It will go away in a couple weeks just keep driving it normal. I know the smell makes ya just wanna throw up it gave me headaches and stunk like plastic on gasoline or the smell when you leave an oven on when the pilot goes out. I totally know what ya mean. Mine went away after 2-3 weeks almost one month. No worries bro have fun with the exhaust it'll go away.

[ 01-10-2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: GOLDCELICA ]

Originate, Innovate, Never Imitate. Since 2000-04.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Silver Ice - hahaha bro, CHILL

You misunderstood me, I miss that smell because its the smell of a new exhaust because mine isn't new ANYMORE.

If the smell doesnt go away in like a month, take a peek under your car.

You're fine dude, just chill and enjoy your wonderful new purchase thumbsup

[ 01-11-2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Steven ]

goldcelica,

good article. but, the smell I"m smelling is not paint curing. lthe smell I'm smelling is actually coming from inside the exhaust...I smell it in the actual exhaust fumes.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Does the Tanabe Super Racing Medalion fit the 2002 Celica GT?? At this site, www.speedstyles.com, [speedstyles.com,] it has it for $449.00 for a gts, can it also fit a gt?

i bought mine from www.afsmotorsports.com [afsmotorsports.com] for 435.00 total shipping and everything included. that's where I would buy from if I were you. call shawn...he's really cool to work with.

dude its not ur exhaust fumes bro. calm down and dont get ur panties in a bunch. everything is going to be cool. there are numorous reasons for the smell. so dont get all paranoid. it will all be cool in a week or so. just give it time. its a brand new exhaust, you cant just bolt on a new exhaust and expect everything to be cool. its not a stock one, even my stock one smelled a lil bit

*2003 Black GT-S 6speed* TRD body kit, HID upgrade, clear corners, Matrix XRS shift knob, 02 tails, trd exhaust, AEM gen 2 CAI, TWM short shifter.

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
I agree with SilverIce, people here dont flame or DISS, thats why i transfered here from NC.org... thanks guys for being cool! thumbsup rice

By the way, this is off topic but do you guys smell the clutch or the pressure plate is like burning when your on a stiff hill then you do some stop and goes if traffic? this is for manual users...

[ 01-11-2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Street Prototype ]

[Linked Image]

i haven't had that problem with the clutch yet. I'm thinking about putting in an Ogura clutch in the next few weeks though. I've ran across some other posts up here where guys have had problems with their clutches though.

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
i have a ramp to my garage. it seems like i smelt my cluth everynight after i got home. i think ive gotten better now tho, dont really smell it anymore. its brand new too so im not worried

ya the reason you are smelling ur clutch is because you are over reving it. meaning giving it too much gas when needed.

*2003 Black GT-S 6speed* TRD body kit, HID upgrade, clear corners, Matrix XRS shift knob, 02 tails, trd exhaust, AEM gen 2 CAI, TWM short shifter.

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Naaah, i dont give it too much gas or over reving it, it just really smells sometimes, yup im not worried coz my car is 8 months old... my baby celica thumbsup

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Moved to Custom Mods & Performance Tuning Tips & Reviews