Thread Like Summary
CaffeineKid, CAPTAINSOLO
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jobbby
Jobbby
Hello, I'm new here and have no idea where to put this, but I'd be very appreciative of some type of help. Not too long ago I bought a 2000 Celica GTS 6 speed from someone on Facebook about an 1.5 hours away. The post said that the car did not run, but that it needed a new clutch and the Valves needed an adjustment. They wanted $1000, but I got it for $800 and thought maybe it could be a fun project for me and my dad, plus the interior looked very good, and the exterior was fair. We get there and we asked and checked all the vital parts. After everything seemed okay, other than the clutch getting stuck to the floor and the car being so low the rear tires go inside the fender using cheap tien lowering springs and the tired being welded because there was a crack. But after we give them the money, get the title, and get back home we look at it more. We find out the the wiring is bad from the stereo they put in it because somehow they made the low beam lights turn the starter, the trans was cracked, and the battery was dead. We took the trans out and seen that whatever happened, they had broke the flywheel bolts off into the crankshaft and the flywheel rolled around inside the trans and cracked it up pretty bad. But we got it welded and I bought a new clutch and flywheel bolts. We get it all on and everything seemed to work right. So now, the moment of Truth, we finally can crank the car after getting the battery in and what do we hear? A lot of rattling and knocking along with a terrible exhaust leak. My dad had taken it for a small drive and it constantly turned off by itself and the starter would randomly turn. But what I'm asking is if anyone had any idea to how I can fix it and if I may need a completely new motor. I'd appreciate the help. Thank you.
Attachments
Liked Replies
by Jobbby
Jobbby
Recently found out there's a 2zz get at a junkyard my grandad used to work at, they said it was tested and works and it's $750, so I'll just save up and get that and hope to God it works.
1 member likes this
by Hobiecatman
Hobiecatman
I would not. That's a lot of money
My whole race car was only $5k!

I have a supercharged Miata, although its fast and has track suspension, the constant little issues with fueling, knock and timing with the extra boost etc just takes the joy away. plus you will still need to spend money on the other areas on top of that.

Just spend that money on a diff car thats stock but fast if thats what you want.

after you pay 5k and then all the little extras that you did not think of you will then be pumping a grand into an LSD to handle the power, then other stuff. Before you know it you will be into $10k. not worth it.

buy a used reg motor, spend a little money on uprated suspension, steering rack bushes, engine mount inserts coilovers and a diff alignment. its far cheaper and you will get just the same enjoyment with less speeding tickets. its rare to get a ticket for not needing to slow down for corners!
1 member likes this
Member Spotlight
GQ540
GQ540
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Houston, TX

Show All Member Profiles 
Recent Topics
Hole in hose?
by Kacper9108 - May 11, 2024 1:26pm
P0420 with replaced catalytic converter
by Pevodj0 - May 8, 2024 11:50pm
2zz pcv valve
by D4ngerousbry - Apr 23, 2024 11:55am
Carcept front lip in 2024
by IM__ACE - Apr 21, 2024 9:05pm
Blitz / trial supercharger 2zz
by CheUK87 - Apr 19, 2024 4:09pm
Need Trd aid supercharger hood
by BlitzzKong - Apr 17, 2024 11:43am
00-05 Celica Part out
by TM0202 - Nov 16, 2023 5:48pm
Customize Your Toyota Celica Privacy Policy · About · Contact
Privacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2024