Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
What is the difference in hp between a universal exhaust tip with custom piping and a cat-back exhaust? Which is better or are they some what the same when it comes down to getting more hp?

ttt

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
The difference is the research and design put into the the catback exhaust system. For example, I'm working with Skunk2 on producing the catback exh for the 00+ GTS. I've had to go down to their facility numerous times for fitting and test driving with the exhaust on my car. While driving they told me to listen for rattling. Rattling is a side effect of having a universal tip w/custom piping. They also had a whole team of designers think about which piping route and which piping size would yield the most hp and torque. Numerous base dyno runs are done to see which piping route yields the most hp. Piping is then done by mandrel bending which is the smoothest way to bend pipes. The other way is compression bending. Comp bending creates slight bumps in the piping but is FAR cheaper than mandrel bending. So in the end, it's really hard to say which one is the most HP producing, but you can rest assured that your cat back exhaust wont be rattling or sounding like a "pissed off bumble bee." Some ppl dont like it, some dont mind. I could really care less what it sounds like as long as it produces HP and Torque.

Cat back exhaust - $$$
universal tip w/custom piping - budget

Hope that helps.
Steven

Originally Posted by tempest
What is the difference in hp between a universal exhaust tip with custom piping and a cat-back exhaust? Which is better or are they some what the same when it comes down to getting more hp?

Last edited by Steven; Jun 17, 2003 10:44am.

Well I have had both on my GTS. My TRD exhaust was nice but the horse power gain was very minimal. Then I customed my own dual exhaust and the gain was nice. I havent had it dynoed yet, but i can grab rubber in 2nd gear with ease, and with the TRD that would very rarly happen if at all. If you decied to custom your own make sure you do a little reserch on the tip you are buying. Get one with a 2.5 inch inlet. And as far as price, as long as you do not do duals they are about the same.

Heaven is 8600 RPM's

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
If you decide to go universal tip, get an apexi, tanabe or HKS. Those companies make the cat backs and universals. Buy name brand universal because the quality of the tip is better which will mean the difference of rattling and no rattling.

Originally Posted by joylover24
Well I have had both on my GTS. My TRD exhaust was nice but the horse power gain was very minimal. Then I customed my own dual exhaust and the gain was nice. I havent had it dynoed yet, but i can grab rubber in 2nd gear with ease, and with the TRD that would very rarly happen if at all. If you decied to custom your own make sure you do a little reserch on the tip you are buying. Get one with a 2.5 inch inlet. And as far as price, as long as you do not do duals they are about the same.

I've heard something about dual exhuasts being bad on a 4cyl. car because there was not enough air being let out from the engine, resultin in too much back pressure or something, the conversation was very long ago, and i do not recall the terms and everything used, but it was quite interestin... haha, i didn't understand the mechanics behind it then, i still don't (partly because i forgot most of what was said). Anyone care to take a shot at this? Steven? grin

Last edited by x0031; Jun 17, 2003 2:24pm.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Dual exhast gives you too little backpressure. Loss in low end torque and gain in high end. Unnecessary for 4 cylinders

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ok cause i was thinking of getting a good universal exhaust tip w/ 3" piping. i mean i see no difference cause one of my friends has a custom universal exhaust w/2" piping and it sounds pretty deep but then my other friend has a apexi catback and it sounds like how steven said "pissed off bumble bee" so really i don't see the difference. as long as you get a good tip you should be fine. is there anything i should look for in a universal tip?