Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I drive a 03 Celica GT. I use to love putting money into my cars to make them faster/ turning them into "sleepers." I am thinking of purchasing a brand new 2zz engine and 6spd manual trans for the 2zz to drop into my GT. I then want to slap a turbo kit on it. I am looking at the turbo kit from turbokits.com.

The real question I basically have is will it be possible. As in, not having to fabricate anything? Or will I be in luck that the GT and GTS have the same mounting brackets and what not?

Oh, and the turbo kit I'm looking at doesn't specify how much boost it puts out so I'm assuming it's from 3-8psi? In that case, I shouldn't need to rebuid the 2zz engine to handle the extra pressure, or will I?

Also, has anyone else done the SSBC conversion kit (rear drum to disc brakes)? I'm thinking of doing that as well since I can't stand seeing these "drums" on my car.

ps. I just found this site and really enjoyed viewing other peoples projects/cars. I use to be a mechanic for GM when I was younger and loved to mess around with my cars. I've since married and no longer have the money to do that anymore, but I was thinking of getting a new car... but instead think I should put the money back into my car since I love it. The new cars out there today lack what I want...which is basically a car like mine but with a turbo ;-).

I wish I could edit this last post. I feel like a moron. Anyways, I used the search on this site and found a lot of the answers myself. The only thing I now am curious on is the cost to rebuild my 1zz in a way to support a turbo kit. That, and trying to find a c60 transmission seems to be impossible. Is it even possible to buy a brand new c60 transmission from the dealer? The toyota parts department has had me on hold forever, since their internet went down.

I figured it would be cheaper to rebuild my car to make it the way I want, rather then buy a new car that is 6spd with a turbo from factory.

JJ3
You never put in your post the mileage on your car. That would be a big factor...as well as what kind of mileage(raced and reved high often or driven like a mom taking her kids to school) Without knowing that info,if it were me,I would just sell the 03 gt and look into getting a gts,the power difference alone is well worth it( i think it is like 125gt vs 180gts) and if you get the 6spd manual you should be happy just doing the bolt ons and some fuel system work and be a little over the 200hp to the wheels with a good tune,which in a car as light as the celica is great. The turbos and s/c out there for the gts will really put you into that realm of beating pretty much anything in town but it also really damages the wallet...I love a turbo as much as the next guy but a solidly tuned n/a celica gts 6spd with the right suspension and wheels and tires will be a ton of fun for about 95% of the celica population.