Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#449932 Apr 9, 12:03pm
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I am a new Celica owner, When I first bought the car I had to replace the engine due to a bad transaction with the previous owner. Anyways, after the new engine was installed new problems showed up.

The new engine now seems to make not a rod knocking knows, but more of a tick tick tick. Like how it would sound in the old movie theatres if you were watching a movie. The engine also seems to run kind of loud. The engine also seems to idle kind of high around 2000RPM.

There are times when the idle will drop from 2000RPM down to about 1400RPM, slowly climb back up and drop again.

And yesterday the car shop told me that my car is at risk for my head gasket blowing, they claimed it was spewing out white smoke, but I havent seen hardly any. There are times when the car will say its running all the way hot, but the fluids are not boiling. And then the temperature drops back down to normal. Then there are times when it says it is running hot and the fluids are boiling. Also some days the heat chooses not to work.

Now first, you have to understand that the previous owner had everything completely screwed up wiring wises.

I need suggestions, please help! Thank you!

2002 Toyota Celica Gt
2002 Toyota Celica Gt
I have encountered the same problem on my 02 celica gt. I believe it is the o2 sensor can be dirty. I had opened it up and cleaned it and it seemingly had fixed it.

The new engine now seems to make not a rod knocking knows, but more of a tick tick tick. Ok what i'm thinking it could be your air conditioner pump clutch trying to kick in. Have it tested with a manifold vacuum gauge. Now if the rpms are running kind of high, it might be you have some cracked vacuum hoses. While having the car turned off, blow cigarette/ cigar smoke in one of the vacuum lines and see if any blue smoke comes off any cracked lines. Then replace those lines and check to see if you have the same problem. Check out this video:

As for your over heating problems, here's a video to flush out your radiator: