Hey guys, I just wanted to throw this little how-to on here for those of you who maybe haven’t heard of this, don’t care for it, or are apprehensive to do it. It’s an inexpensive little weeknight “mod” that can improve the presentation of your interior. I chose to do it because I like the word CELICA spelled on the door sills, but hate how it is hidden by all the other grey plastic. Make sure to check out the pics at the bottom.

What you need:
Indoor/Outdoor paint pen of your choice
Clear coat spray paint
Isopropyl alcohol
Rag
Steady hand

Step #1:
Remove the door sills. Just open the driver and passenger door, find a good spot (or use a screwdriver to get under the sill) and pry up. You might hear some noises, but don’t worry. The sill is held in by several clips that need to pop out of place.

Step #2: Clean the door sills. Use that isopropyl alcohol and a rag to wipe down the entire surface of the sills. Take your time on this, the prep is always important.

Step #3: Paint the door sills. This is where you need that steady hand and this is why I said to use a paint pen. The great thing about a paint pen is that you don’t need to tape anything off if you’re careful (taping off those door sills wouldn’t be fun). So just take the paint pen on the clean door sill and go over the raised letters and lines. I let the first coat dry and did a second.

Step #4: Clear coat the door sills. You can tape off the door sill if you want, but you really don’t need to. I did 3 solid coats of gloss clear coat on top of the gloss black paint pen and it pops.

Step #5: Reinstall the door sills. They go in the same way they came out. Just line them up and press the clips into place.

It’s that easy. This is a great $5 project that looks good if you take your time. I’ve had mine on the car for some time now and haven’t had any issues with the paint peeling/scratching/fading.

Enjoy!

IMG_8224.JPG IMG_8241.JPG IMG_8405.JPG

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)