I want to start this how-to out by saying yes, I do understand that the Celica is by no means meant to be a luxury car. I understand and accept that. However, I am not a fan of all the plastic so I have been working here and there to try to dress it up just a little. Now, onto the guide.

This “mod” is not hard, just tedious and potentially frustrating if you don’t have patience like me. Make sure to check out the pics below.

Items needed:
Vinyl leather material
Spray adhesive
Scissors/X-Acto knife
Phillips head screwdriver
Isopropyl alcohol
Rag
Hair dryer

Step #1: Remove the armrest. Open the armrest storage box and notice 2 screws on the hinge. Take them out with your screwdriver and pull the armrest off.

Step #2: Shape your material. This is the hardest part of the entire project. Take the armrest and lay it on top of your material (I got my fake leather at Walmart and it matches the door panel inserts perfectly). Cut off excess but make sure to leave some edges on. You can cut extra off later. Now, make “relief cuts” (small 1-1.5” slits all around the edges of the material. This will make it to make the material conform to the round shape of the armrest.

Step #3: Clean the armrest. Take your isopropyl alcohol and rag and thoroughly wipe down the armrest. This is important.

Step #4: Wrap the armrest. I began by heating up the material with the hair dryer to make it stretchier and then sprayed the adhesive on the armrest and back side of the material. I let it set for a moment to make sure it create a permanent bond when the two were joined. Then when you’re ready, press the two together. You don’t have long before the glue dries, but you have long enough to make adjustments.

Step #5: Perfect the wrap. With the material sticking well, make small adjustments for it to look “right.” Make sure the curved part looks good. This would also be a good time to tuck the material under the armrest, cut off excess, and glue it to the underside just to be sure.

Step #6: Reinstall the armrest. Take your 2 screws, line up the hinges, and put screw back in until the armrest is secure.

This cost me $10 in materials at Walmart and about an hour total in time to get it looking perfect. It has held up well for several months now.

Enjoy!
IMG_7310.JPG IMG_7311.JPG IMG_7309.JPG IMG_8020.JPG IMG_8018.JPG

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)