Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hello, I replaced the clutch, shift cables along with the shifter on my 2000 gts 6 speed. the problem is the transmission wont shift, even with the engine turned off. I dropped a couple of times but it was no more than 4 inches off yhe ground. Clutch works fine, I a mable to take off from a complete stop and get up to 40mph, so it makes think is stuck on 2nd. But I dont want to take the transmission back down again.

Any suggestions, help is truely appreciated.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Hello welcome to Celica Hobby,

When you attempt to shift are finding it just hitting a brick wall, or is it grinding the gears?

When you say shifter do you mean the shifter in the transmission that actually moves the shift forks or the shifter that is located right under neath the stick?

On my brothers Gt 5 speed transmission, the boot on on the shifter that shifts the fork on the actual transmission itself had a tear and rusted the shaft that goes into the transmission, However his Transmission also lost most of its gear oil due engine shifting back by bad mounts and causing a leak through the already wearing seals where the axles enter the differential portion of the transmission.

Did the shift issue happen and then you took the transmission out attempt to repair the issue or was it a result of trying to do say a clutch job?

Thank you for replying, the transmission wont shift, it hit a brick wall, it wont shift with the engine off or on.

The shifter that was replaced is the one at the stick shift due to one of the cables snapped and I couldn't find just the cables.

The differential seals were replaced, also I changed the gear oil accordingly.

The issue is due to a clutch job, it wasn't having any issues with the shifting prior to changing the clutch.

I think the shifter at the transmission probably bent/damaged when I dropped the transmission when it was being taken down.

As I said, I think is stuck on 2nd gear, I am able to take off from a complete stop and speed up to 40mph, but I gotta keep the clutch pressed in order to stop moving.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Hi again,

It is possible you bent the shift at the transmission. its a possibility we can't rule out.
However, have you tried to manually shift the Transmission at the transmission while the car is off?

You should have free reign to shift the the transmission while the engine is off. The clutch has nothing to do with with the transmission shifting while the engine is off because the engine isn't moving and putting power to the transmission. While it might be a problem at the clutch I don't believe it is 100% the clutch, because you can still drive forward and you can't change gears at all engine on or not and from what you tell me the clutch still disengages when you press the clutch pedal.

it is also possible that when you replaced the shifter not everything was connected right.
When you reinstalled the transmission did you make sure it was in neutral?
one way to tell is that you can move the shifter right at the transmission in, and then out, and then out again (at least for the GT 5 speed version, but it should be similar because that is how you select each gear fork.)

I would check to see if you can shift it at the transmission, if that doesn't work i would remove the intake box/pipe/filter, battery, battery tray and position the ECU box in a way so you can look down and see if it got bent or that you have the you have the correct cable sitting on the the correct spot with a cotter pin keeping it from falling off. If i remember correctly the cables go from the the firewall and then get clipped on to the transmission to hold the outter casing of the cables and then the circle discs slide onto their shifter port, with a washer on top and cotter pinned to prevent them from falling off and causing a shift issue.

If you could provide pictures of the shifter at the transmission and the shifter inside the car, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am sort of going through this same problem but it is intermediate and I already know the transmission is damaged internally. but my transmission shifter the transmission is also rusty because of New Jersey's vicinity to salt water and the salting of the roads in the winter.

Lastly before removing the whole transmission and trying again i would check to see if your hydraulic clutch line is pushing the throw out bearing fork all the way. you may need to bleed the hydraulic clutch line. That was an issue i had with a different vehicle but Its not as applicable to your situation because you don't have to open or break in to the hydraulics of the clutch system in order to remove the transmission or the engine, you can simply unbolt and move it out of the way. Also you should still be able to shift in that scenario if the vehicle was off and you wouldn't be able to push the clutch to stop feeding the the transmission engine power.

I really, really want to see you and your Celica happy and running perfectly. Please update as you know more information.
Thanks,

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
to shift at the transmission, it up and down to shift into a gear and pull or push the assembly in and out of the transmission to select which fork. For 5 speed i believe it was all the way out and up for reverse. all the way out and down for 5th. middle up 4th, middle down 3rd. inward up 1st, inward down 2. I am not 100% on that and I do know that GTS has a 6 gears and reverse so it is slightly different.