Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#455699 Dec 25, 5:16am
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
I couldn't find any information on this put I'm having a problem with my low beam and high beam. Whenever I'm driving around during the day, if I click the high beam on the stick, the lights that are normally on at night are illuminated. But at night if I click the high beam, nothing happens. Also during the day if I turn the light switch on the same lights turn on as the "high beam" lights with only drl's on. Any ideas? I almost failed an inspection because the guy told me to switch on the lights and turn on the high beams but nothing happened.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah/Happy Holidays!!

Welcome to the forum,

To start off , Which Generation, model, and for kicks Transmission is your vehicle?

Also are you running stock headlight assemblies?

when you say you click the highbeam on the stick do you mean just the turn knob at the end of the stick or are you referring to the flicking the whole stick forward to activate your highbeams? The turn knob at the end of the stick only controls the the main head light and then the lower version of of that. If you flick the stick forward while the main head lights are on you will get highbeams. if you don't have the head lights on the highbeam don't work. however, at any time if you move the stick back towards you you will activate the high beams but for only the period of time you hold it back. This feature is usually used to signal somebody else to go ahead, or to let other drivers know their headlights aren't on.

The night auto headlights on use the main headlights and will not use the high beams unless you flick the stick forward towards the front of the car.

The best way to tell if which beams you are using is if its normal headlights you will see a green lights on indicator on the dash, for high beams it is a blue lights on indicator

It was confusing to me at first to because before I drove my 2000 Toyota Celica, I was and still do drive a 91 for ranger which does not have the auto lights on feature at all. so it confused the heck out of me. but most cars its flick the stick forward with head lights on to get highbeams.

Having the headlights come on at night makes the head light controls on the stick almost moot. because at night you have no control to turn them off or not (at least my celica) However its more so that in tunels, or at times when the light sensor doesn't fully work that you have the ability to turn the lights on yourself. Its a safety feature.

Please let us know if that helps you any or if it doesn't work so we on the forum can better help and assist you in getting your headlight/highbeams fully functional.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Thanks for the reply. I have the 7th generation celica gt-s with a 6 speed transmission. What I mean by the high beams is, if I turn the knob to turn the main headlights on they work. Same lights that come on at night. But when I have the main headlights on and I push the stick forward(or towards me) nothing else happened. I've heard that the lower headlights should come on as well when I turn on the high beams but they do not, only the main headlights. And I think they are the same lights that are used as DRL and I know they work. The blue light on my dash do infact illuminate but the high beams don't turn on. I hope this made sense. And yes I believe they are the stock assemblies.(bought the car with these headlight)

Have you checked the related bulbs, wiring, and fuses?

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)

2003 Toyota Celica TRD GT
2003 Toyota Celica TRD GT
Yep, check the bulbs...

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
after checking the fuses the next best thing would be to unplug the head light/highbeam harness from the bulb and with pins carefully back probe and test with a multimeter to see if there is actually power being sent through the circuit. If no power to the high beam circuit then it could again be possible fuse/relay or a break in the wire. or possibly if you don't see increased power going through the the wire then its posisble fuse/relay/broken wire/or bad ground connection. If you do see the increase in power/power on the highbeam circuit at the harness where it connects to the bulb then your bulbs are indeed bad.

^^^^^^

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Okay guys, sorry for the late reply but I'll try the mentioned procedures. I'm pretty sure the bulbs are fine because my DRL work fine so I'll check the fuses/wiring/harness and see what I find. Thanks guys!