Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hey! For any of you that read my previous post, I am happy to report that I bargain down to a good price and I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Toyota Celica GT Automatic with only 54k miles and perfect inspection report. The mechanic called it a unicorn.

So, I'd like to keep it that way. If I am being honest I am not much of a car guy, never have been. But something drew me to this and it has inspired me to learn more about cars.

SO I am looking for maintenance advice. Both in terms of scheduling and in terms of tools. Things like, after how many miles should a get or give it an oil change, get the breaks checked, rotate or align tires, wax it, get it detailed (things I am not even thinking of).

I'm in Ohio. Anything I need for the winter (besides all weather tires)?

Anything I should do to prevent rust?

The little things I can probably learn to do myself, I'd like to learn as well. What basic tools should I get? When it comes to cars, I have nothing. Any tools I should have on hand always? What are the best jump start batteries? What are the best tools to keep it clean etc?

What are the best all weather tires? Right now it has Starfire 195/60r15. They are pretty new.

Besides the radio, are there any after-market add-on must-haves (in your opinion)

Feel free to add anything I am, of course, not thinking off.

Looking forward to your comments!

Justin

Last edited by ErnestVictor; Jan 17, 2019 7:55am.

Congrats! Like I said, you've probably found one of the cleanest Celicas out there and I applaud your desire to keep it that way. I'll try to run through things as clearly as I can, but it might come out scattered haha. So...

MAITENANCE:
-Oil Find out wether the previous owner used conventional or synthetic oil and stick with it. Assuming it is conventional oil, I would recommend a change every 3500 miles, unless you're not putting many miles on it. When a car sits for long periods, the oil loses it's lubricating properties. This is something you can do in your driveway with some basic hand tools and the how-to on this site. Be sure to check the oil level every so often as well.

-Coolant- The cooling system is often overlooked on cars but don't forget that coolant can also lose it's cooling properties. I would recommend a coolant change every 3 years. This too is something that can be done with basic hand tools and our how-to guide.

-Spark plugs- Depending on what you choose to use, spark plugs can last you upwards of 100000 miles. When it does come time to change them, this task can be done with basic hand tools and our how-to guide.

-Brake fluid- Like oil and coolant, brake fluid can loose it's good properties after a while. I would recommend a flush every time you do a full brake service, meaning when you do pads AND rotors. But when it comes time, you can do it yourself with some basic hand tools and our how-to guide.

-Power steering fluid- I don't have a set interval for this one. Usually I just go by color/content. So if the fluid isn't unusually dirty and you aren't having any PS issues, I would leave it go. But when it comes time, you can do it yourself with some basic hand tools and our how-to guide.

-Brake pads/rotors You'll know when your pads are low as you'll hear the indicator screech as it scratches the rotor. However, if you want to change them before they get this low, all you have to do is find the right angle where you can see behind the wheel and eyeball it to make sure there is still some pad material left. As for rotors, just check for heavy rust or deep scratches. But when it comes time, you can do it yourself with some basic hand tools and our how-to guide.

-Don't forget: Wiper blades, windshield washer fluid, air filter, etc. Pretty self-explanatory.

I honestly don't believe too much in mileage intervals. I believe it all depends on how you drive, where you drive, how much you drive, and how much the car isn't driven.

TOOLS:
Everything I mentioned above can be done with basic hand tools. Hopefully you picked up on that trend haha. Anyway, here's what I would say could get you by for basic maintenance.

-Lug nut breaker bar (Included in your spare tire kit in the trunk) Cost: $0
-Basic metric ratchet set (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $5
-Basic socket extensions (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $8
-Basic metric wrenches (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $8
-Basic screwdriver set (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $3
-Basic plier set (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $6
-Shop rags (Can find it at Harbor Freight or use old shirts and it'll work fine) Cost: $5
-Oil drain pan ((Can find it at Dollar Tree and it'll work fine) Cost: $1
-Basic metric allen (hex) keys (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $5
-A few funnels (Can find it at Harbor Freight and it'll work fine) Cost: $1

So yeah, you can easily find all that for under $50, especially if you use Harbor Freight's coupons and free gifts and it will be enough for you do accomplish what you ask of it. Anyone who tells you that you need every special tool or big names tools is wrong. Of course, you may want to invest in more specialized tools as you go further into the car, but that should suit you for now. Don't forget that major auto parts stores also often have free loaner tools.

TIRES:
I don't have the exact model name on hand, but Continental has become my favorite brand for all-season tires. Otherwise, I run Pirelli P Zeros in the summer. The tires you're running now should be fine if they have some tread left.

CLEANING:
A name brand wash (Meguiar's, Mother's, etc) would be my first choice. Depends on how much you care about appearance. I shoot for once a month or as necessary. I would recommend a full clay bar and wax treatment once a year, maybe twice if you really want to shine.

AFTERMARKET ADD-ONS:
You've pretty much got it. An aftermarket radio with some modern features is all you need if you only plan to daily drive your Celica. If you want to get into shows or performance, I could talk all day about that stuff lol.

I know that's a lot, but I hope it helps. I'll let you know if I have more to add!

-Connor

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)

Conner,

Thank you sooooo much. This is super helpful. You've been super helpful. I can't wait to get started. Well, hopefully, I won't have to get started on anything for a while and everything works the way it should.

I have to check to see if the spare and kit is still there. I actually forgot to check that.

Was curious what your thoughts are regarding the back seat and children car seats (specifically front facing ones). I know there are no safety brackets and everything needs to be done via the seat belts. Maybe there are some aftermarket options?

Also, if the car is going to be parked outside (I have garage space but sometimes its necessary) do people usually cover it overnight if it's going to rain or snow?

Last edited by ErnestVictor; Jan 17, 2019 11:25am.

Absolutely! I'm glad I can help.

I would think the spare kit will be there, considering the care the owner took with everything else.

As for car seats, I know quite a few people that haul young kids. I don't believe they use anything aftermarket, but I'm sure you can find something if you look hard enough. I would do it if I had kids though. I've already crashed one of these things and because of that, I have complete confidence in my current one. (Hence my signature below.)

When it rains here in PA, I just let it rain. Rain water won't hurt anything, as long as it's it's not a flood lol. For snow, I am in the process of getting myself a cover. I'm sure it's not totally necessary (didn't cover my first one, still looked good), but I'm doing it to put my mind at ease.

-Connor

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed (sold 12/19)
2002 Toyota Celica GT auto (totaled 5/18)