Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi All,

I need to replace my transmission linkage in a 5 sp GT. However, I need to remove the center console frame to get access to the gear shift part of the vehicle. I'm close, but no cigar. I've removed all the screws I can see. The sides flex out except for at the back and where it mates with the part that is on top of it.

Are there any instructions that detail how to remove it? On my model, the center console portion is part horizontal and part verticalish where radio, heater, etc. are located.

TIA...

Hi All,

I need to replace my transmission linkage in a 5 sp GT. However, I need to remove the center console frame to get access to the gear shift part of the vehicle. I'm close, but no cigar. I've removed all the screws I can see. The sides flex out except for at the back and where it mates with the part that is on top of it.

Are there any instructions that detail how to remove it? On my model, the center console portion is part horizontal (encompassing gear shift compartment) and part verticalish where heater controls are located.

TIA...

Hi All,

I have everything removed from the center console, but I'm stuck removing the climate controller box (where you adjust the temperature. There is a bracket attached to the back, and two strong cables holding it to where I can't take it out. The face plate has flanges that will prevent me from taking out the "leg section" of the center console, which I need removed to access the transmission control cable.

I suspect there is a way to remove and replace those locking/bracket cables, and then the unit would come right out, but I have limited access back there so I haven't figured it out yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA...

Long story short, I didn't need to take out the climate control and stereo portion of the center console in order to remove and replace the transmission control cable. I **assumed** I did, and that was a mistake that is offering more and more **learning opportunities." The transmission control cable is installed and working fine. I was able to eventually remove the climate control panel frame from the two cables that control the temperature of the air flowing through the climate control system, but only after a guy from O'Reilly's yanked it out about and inch further. I used a mirror on the underside to reflect where my tweezers were positioned, and then I pried each pin clip as far wide as I could. When I pulled on the cable simultaneously, I was able to flare the locking mechanism wide enough and get it to stay on one side, and once I was able to flare the second side, the cable slid right on out.
I was able to reassemble the climate control panel.
That is the good news.
The bad news is that the extra inch that enabled me the room to disengage the locking mechanism apparently pulled something loose behind the front panel of the vehicle. At least when I move the cable (I'm pretty sure the blue one, the one that is attached to the bracket closest to the engine) through the cable housing it bangs around pretty good behind the front panel (not in engine bay).
Since that's a different issue, I will start a different thread for it.