Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
recently i bought a 2000 toyota celica with a 1zz t85 engine and the previous owner said they had swapped the tranny out for a 6 speed corolla tranny and i was wondering for the engine swap if i would have to replace the trasmission to fit the 2zz engine or if i can get by keeping the transmission i have now? (will provide more details if needed but apologies if i explain things weirdly as i'm just starting to get into cars and dont know much and this is my first project car)

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Assuming we’re talking about an automatic transmission here? I definitely don’t know the answer, but interested because I’m considering swapping my own 1zz for a 2zz. I will tell you this: My mechanic highly recommends using a manual transmission. He says that in terms of boosting & performance mods, there’s less you have to do to prepare a manual transmission for the increased power.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
sorry should have clarified but yes the car is a manual transmission already but the question was if the 2zz engine would be compatible with it i saw on the monkeywrench racing website a engine and transmission swap package for the celica for little under 4k but on ebay ive seen the engine by itself for around 1,800usd so im thinking of just buying the engine and tranny separately as for which transmission, monkeywrench is selling the package with a c60 transmission so im thinking of going the same route if not then just trying to find another celica transmission.

1 member likes this: JoeBarr

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Good call on buying them separately. Without having researched prices on a C60, that 4K price tag on the 2zz+tranny combo does sound way high. Are you looking at JDM Engines for your 2zz? They seem to have a lot there and prices seem reasonable.
I’m still on the fence about swapping my 1zz. Just don’t know what kind of trouble I’ll be signing up for.
Perhaps I’m being naive here, but I think I can mod out this little 1zz, boost it, and be really happy with the results. My mechanic says I can get 400hp, and that would be way more than enough for my DD.