Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi,

I'm putting together my budget and plans for a pre-1975 Celica with a swapped 18RG to be built mostly by myself in California.

My current vision for the car is to be a combination of:
1 - "Japanese Hellcat" - Supercharger + Mini-Muscle
2 - Lightweight car with similar performance to a Lotus Exige S S2 (to be garaged with my future 5.3L Swapped Chevy S10 work truck without having to spend extra money for a 3-car garage), with added comfort and practicality

The money I will save by not purchasing an Exige S which ranges from $30-45k in 2022 and the extra housing cost of a 3-car garage means that my budget for this car has increased to save money throughout my life.

Some notes on its uses
1 - The car will be used for autocross, occasional track days, and as a daily.
2 - I would like to keep the carbs and not need a roll cage, so I can keep the rear seats
3 - I would like it to be geared towards quick acceleration from at least 0-88 mph with overdrive gears (88 being the speed the DeLorean could time travel) and I'm open to a custom-geared transmission and differential

I am open to an all-motor build, though supercharged would be way more rewarding (so long as it's not going to be a Grade-A Headache when it comes to reliability)

Please share any estimates, ideas, advice, etc. on the price and parts needed for my build.

1977 Toyota Celica GT
1977 Toyota Celica GT
I am excited by the ideas for your project. It's sad your post hasn't gained any traction. It seems most forums are pretty quiet these days with a lot of discussion moving to facebook... I have always leaned on groups like this for info and community. Sounds like classic-celica.com was the place, but it's gone, and I cannot seem to find it stored anywhere...

I had a similar project planned after I decided my datsun was not the platform I wanted to build. I was looking for a modern EFI drivetrain for power/reliability, though I commend you for wanting to stick with carbs and a more period build. The 18R sounds beautiful and can haul ass, they made for some awesome rally cars. I cannot speak for reliability NA or boosted as I likely know less than you. My plan was a supercharged ecotec swap, as they seem to be the best bang for your buck, reliable and available option that would keep weight down and have a ton of resources as its become quite a common swap. It doesn't matter as the car I settled on was already built, with a 1uze. Shockingly the UZ without all the accessories doesn't weigh much more than the iron block 20R that would have been in the car. The swap is very well done, with the crossmember being the only thing cut for it to fit. I assume you are looking pre 75 due to being in Cali. I settled for a 77, though that means I need 50 state cats and an idle only E test every 5 years here in colorado. I miss the old collectors laws.
The stock rear ends seem stout enough, though you will be on an absolute unicorn hunt to find a LSD that fits them. (one model of AE86 came with LSD, and I have not heard of other options) You will likely be looking at a rear end swap to have LSD, which is essentially a must for auto-x. I am mocking up an early chevy S10 rear end, its about 1" wider than stock, has tons of options for gearing and diffs. However it is offset like most domestics. I plan to shorten the long side, find another short side axle and drill them to match bolt pattern. Most people have gone with a celica supra rear end and run flares or had it narrowed. There is also a toyota van option that seems viable. I cannot speak toward gear ratio much, as the W58 in my car and torque of the 1uze is not likely to be applicable but I am running about 3600rpm in 5th at 88mph on the stock rear end. I (and the guy who built it) are surprised the rear end actually held up better than the w58 tranny. I am still pretty sure how hard he drove it plus the 6 puck clutch has more to do with the transmission failure.

Luckily out there in Cali, there seem to be more cars for sale so finding a base won't be terrible and you are likely to find a clean one there or nearby in NV/AZ. Prices can be crazy, but you don't seem to be delusional about the costs to build a car these days.
I think your best bet is to find guys who have been owning/building these a while as finding parts can be a struggle. I know someone out here who owns a few and have restored many over the years. I will see if he is willing to let me give you his number/email. He has a pretty good stockpile of parts.

I wish I could be more help for the questions you are actually asking, mostly I am responding because I want to share the excitement for your build and your planned garage, you seem to have an eclectic taste like myself. I had a C10 that I planned to LS swap and daily, gave it to a buddy cause I have too many irons on the fire as is... and with kids I need to keep the sequoia for a while anyways.

1977 RA24 Coupe with a 1UZE mated to a W58

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for the year's reply.

My ideas for it have evolved and my current idea is to go with a 3.5 EcoBoost, reinforce the chassis, and make it in my mind a mini Ford GT in muscle car clothes.

I'll probably put in a boost controller for good measure and enjoy bliss at various performance levels. I might put logos of various cars I would like to experience the power-to-weight ratio of.

It'll be one heck of a fun ride and I'll probably be documenting my progress on this forum. Then once it's completed I look forward to my road trip across the contiguous United States West to East. More to come with more money.