Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi all,

I'm unfortunately had an incident with my timing chain failing on my celica, they've also mentioned about one of the following; cam shafts piston rings etc and the water pump needing doing if they're to rip out the timing chain. So in light of this I'm considering what road to go down.
I would ideally like to turbo my celica, and I've had a huge amount of mixed forums and opinions on whether it will work and whether its best to swap to the 2zz engine instead.
I'm really stuck on what the best route to gain more Bhp and a sense of reliability.
I've had comments from everything from k20 to a 3zz kit.

My car is standard 140. Unbelievably low mileage and in impeccable condition and I would like to take a few risks and to fully into modifying her. Any help and a few people potentially saying the same thing would be a massive help!
image1 (2).jpeg

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Wow, she’s beautiful.

Too bad no replies yet. My vote is to turbo the 1zz. However, I am biased because I too have a 1zz. I bought a 2002 Celica GT last year with only 116k miles on it. It’s a really great car except for the fact that it just needs better acceleration.

It can be done with enough $$. My plan is to upgrade the engine internals and Boost.Honestly these cars are so light I don’t think it’ll take a ton of added HP to make it scream.

1 member likes this: A_betsky20

I would love to know if y’all ever ended up turbocharging or upgraded the internals of the 1zzfe Celica

Couple of comments
1. Your car looks amazing
2. I'm in the same boat as you, I have an amazing condition 7th gen 1zz and I totally want to turbo mine too. Even with no forged internals you can safely make around 220hp in such a light car, I think it's a great combo.
3. I know this is a bit of an old reply but I personally need help knowing what to put in my car, do you have any ideas yourself?

hi gentlemen.
I am going to turbo my 1zz FE. I have done research. Like yourself, i too have a 1zz FE that is in amazing shape because I take care of her and because the 1zz FE is such a reliable engine. However, I just want a little fun.

I am going to turbo the car using the monkey wrench racing turbo kit for this engine. I already have the apexi FC with the monkey wrench racing tune for this engine and I absolutely love it!!! It makes the 1zz FE that much more fun to drive. And you can rev it high!!!!!!!

MWR have done the research and they have the experience to do this project. For a car that weighs 2300-2400 lbs do you really need 300hp or more?

I just want to have a little more fun with this engine 1zz FE with stock internals and will not go more than 240hp. It's about 7 to 8 psi boost pressure. I want to have more fun with this engine but have reliability and low maintenance.