New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by expinch
Has anyone else here had any problems with their trunk struts getting weak? I have a 2001 GT and my struts are to the point that during the winter they don't hold at all.

Right now they're fine because its hot and the gas inside is expanding, but during the winter I look like a jackass holding the trunk open with one hand just to put something in. Not to mention if I lose my grip I could be severed at the knees and end up trapped in my trunk with no legs.

When I called Toyota they told me that each strut was up wards of $100+. I tried to read the information printed on the strut but there is next to none and when I did a search found nothing on the internet. As if that isn't bad enough, I've been to Autozone and some other places and they don't carry the struts for newer models.

There are many names used for this exact same part: prop, strut, shock, spring, rod, or gas spring. But the accurate industry name for them is, "GAS CHARGED LIFT SUPPORTS." Gas Charged Lift Supports hold up hatches, trunks, hoods, liftgates, and windows. Over 70% of the vehicles produced in the United States today have Gas Charged Lift Supports.

[Linked Image from plaza.umin.ac.jp] [Linked Image from plaza.umin.ac.jp]

How to tell if your lift supports need to be replaced:

* Your lift support is beginning to wear-out when the trunk/hatch is difficult to lift, begins to sag when its in an open position, or cant be held into position without some other propping device. This is very dangerous!

* All lift supports eventually have to be replaced because they have a small gas-charge which naturally escapes over time through the lift support seal.

* Lift supports generally wear-out in 5-7 years. Extremes in weather (extreme hot or cold) or abnormally excessive opening or closing will shorten the life of your lift support.

There are three different types of Liftgate/Trunk Support Assembly (shocks) for the 2000+ Toyota Celica:

A) WITHOUT WING (economy/weakest)

B) WITH WING (standard)...
I have these with my Kaminari wing.
For the most part, they work just fine in California's warm climate.
Cold/damp weather seems to give it a bit of troubles staying up though.

C) WITH WING & WITH REAR WIPER (luxury/strongest)...
This is also the set that comes standard when you purchase the Action Package (aka TRD) Wing

Each "Back Door Stay" (trunk shock) is about $115 (Set of two is about $230)

Before purchasing a new set, check which ones you currently have installed. The part number is listed on the outside of your Liftgate/Trunk Support Assembly (shocks) - Reference it to item 5 on the price sheet below...

[Linked Image]

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
How to replace your lift supports

Always replace lift supports in pairs. Like windshield wipers, lift supports work as a pair.

No special tools are required: a socket wrench and pair of pliers are in most cases all you will need. Most people can replace their old lift supports in a matter of minutes.

BACK DOOR STAY REPLACEMENT

A few years ago, I purchased a set from http://www.autopartspeople.com ( DIRECT LINK [partswebsite.com] ) APP tends to sell Genuine Toyota OEM parts for usually less than what your local Toyota dealership sells the same parts for. Toyota OEM parts were what I ordered and that was exactly what I received. Thank you APP thumbsup

The parts arrived in about a week and were a bit tricky to install, only because of the loc-tite that was used by Toyota to keep the bolts in place. Everything else was straight forward and was a simple install.

HOW TO REMOVE BACK DOOR STAY
1. Remove the bolt and back door stay from the back door panel.
HINT: USE A STICK (or a friend) TO HOLD THE TRUNK UP WHILE YOU WORK ON REPLACING YOUR TRUNK SHOCKS.

2. Remove the 2 bolts and back door stay from the body.
Do not strip the bolts by trying to unscrew them with only regular tools. For these bolts that were "impossible" to remove, I used a gas BBQ lighter [google.com] to heat up the "loctite" glue (blue) that Toyota used on the OEM trunk-shocks so it could be unscrewed from the trunk hatch.

More information on using heat to remove loctite can be found at: http://www.ehow.com/how_5201363_remove-loctite-bolts.html -- If you've never done this before, searching YouTube videos for "how to remove loctite bolt" could provide additional help.

NOTICE: When handling the back door stay...
* Do not disassemble the back door stay because the cylinder is filled with pressurized gas.
* The gas is colorless, odorless and non-toxic.*
* When working, handle the back door stay carefully.
* Never score or scratch the exposed part of the piston rod, and never allow paint or oil to get on it.
* Do not turn the piston rod and cylinder with the back door stay fully extended.

HOW TO INSTALL BACK DOOR STAY
1. Install the 2 bolts and back door stay to the body.
Torque: 8.3 N-m (85 kgf-cm, 74 in.-lbf)

2. Install the bolt and back door stay to the back door panel.
Torque: 26 N-m (270 kgf-cm, 20 ft-lbf)

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
The simple/cost-effective solution to the trunk not staying up on its own is a standard utility stick.
Sells for under $10 from any home repair center such as HomeDepot or OSH...

Satoshi's setup...

[Linked Image]

My previous setup...
1869923903-screen.jpg

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Here is a guide to replacing trunk shocks using aftermarket shocks from "Lift Supports Depot"...
https://celicahobby.com/forums/ubbt...k-Shocks-How-To-Replace-Aftermarket.html

Here are few more aftermarket companies that make gas charged lift supports for many other vehicles. They may also make them for the 2000+ Toyota Celica, but I recommend using genuine Toyota parts whenever possible.
1953321599-screen.jpg