Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi,

My car is a Toyota VVTLI GT 2006 model - I am from the U.K and the car was registered here in 2006.

I recently purchased a red GT on auction (Car is a previous Cat N damage to air condenser - now replaced and regassed) and while driving home the engine light appeared and gave me a scare. The engine light, VSC, handbrake light also appeared together.

I plugged in my odb scanner when I got home and the error came up for IDLE AIR CONTROL SYSTEM - FAULT: P0505

I researched celica hobby and found a brilliant tutorial thread on how to disassemble and clean the throttle and IAC valves. I cleaned it using throttle cleaner and put it back inside and turned on the engine. NO difference

Now I ordered a new throttle (second hand) hoping just to plug and play a new assembly but it turns out Toyota have re-modelled these through the years.

Here is a picture of mine on the right and a second hand one on the left. (Have attached the picture) Notice the difference in angle of air funnel and direction of throttle lever. So you can see their is no way to use this other throttle without reconfiguring the throttle lever. This is not something I want to dabble in without proof it can be done

Apparently this second throttle was taken from VVTLI celica. I believe it must be the older 190 celicas (190, t sport, then GT in the lineage among U.K CELICAS). Although Its just an assumption. Anybody know?

Now my question is, Can I use the older IAC Valve with my 2006 gt throttle body? Because then I could move them around and see if this was the cause of IDLE AIR CONTROL SYSTEM fault. They are slightly different in shape so its not twin identical.

Thanks for your time and hope to get some replies

20190621_192834.jpg

Since mornings post,

I have tried the older IAC Valve and put it on the throttle body. Connected everything up and started the engine.

THINGS IVE NOTICED,

1) Rough ignition (Could be from spark plugs)

2) Engine overheating due to loss of coolant so have replaced at least 3 litres of universal coolant

3) Idle reaching 1800 rpm and fluctuating down and back up to 1800rpm

THINGS TO DO NEXT

1) Replace spark plugs

2) Bleed coolant system

See if this resolves high idle issues and over heating